UKC

Lurchers crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew52 09 Jan 2015
What is the best way to approach lurchers crag and where is best to park. Is it possible to ski up lurchers gully and down climb to the start of lurchers crag in the Larig gru. Or best to just hike in through the chalamain gap.
Please excuse my spelling!
 MrRiley 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Drew52:

I've walked in a couple of times for climbs via the gap and it's actually pretty fast. The gap itself can be tiresome if its very snowy but its only short. You can avoid the gap above and on the left as you walk in. Also, if there's lots of snow around I would recommend staying low and not cutting up to the crag too soon, this avoids the large boulder field which can be a right pain! Finally, I reckon that about a week of sustained cold is required to bring the gullies into properly icy nick (what the guidebook stars are for), assuming they are not buried in new snow. There are however way more experienced people than me who will be able to give you better conditions advice.....
 Webster 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Drew52:

best place to park is the sugar bowl car park (the one below the lower ski centre car park) then follow the well laid path most of the way to the gap. ether go through or over to the right/left of the gap depending on snow conditions (bear in mind the fatal avalanch 2 seasons ago) and then try and maintain your altitude as you contour round to the crag (or maybe drop down slightly).
 Slacker 09 Jan 2015
In reply to MrRiley:

As MrL says Lurchers is a bit different to the to the other crags in Cairngorms as it is more 'water ice'. This means that it takes low temps to come into condition, though sometimes it can be 'in' when other places are out.

I've been lucky and been able to park at Rothiemurchas lodge in the past, where an alternative to walk from the Ski Lodge is to walk up from the gate to Rothiemurchas on the main road, just before the lake.
OP Drew52 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Drew52:

Thanks guys. It was just approach info I was Looking for, not a condition report! Ha!
 Frazer 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Drew52:

but if anyone does want a conditions report; I wandered up that way today just for a look as there's nowt better to do right now and lines are there but obviously very thin/not really formed properly. Pretty mild today too considering The Storm From Hell is supposed to be upon us...
 Joe Barlow 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Drew52:

Does anyone know how lurchers is looking at the moment? possibly thinking of paying it a visit early next week.
 JdotP 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Drew52:

I would not enjoy the walk-in in these conditions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...