UKC

landmarks on bleaklow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockster 09 Jan 2015
Hi, going to be doing some night navigation excercises on bleaklow. Anyone got some suggestions for some easily identifiable landmarks (including crash sites) to aim for. Grid ref would be good. Many thanks si
 Billhook 10 Jan 2015
In reply to jockster:

Never been but 'obvious' landmarks are just too.....errrr?? Obvious?

Pick them off the map. Tiny stream intersections, small bumps/gullies/re entrants/change of slope directions bits of walls/fences etc., springs, tiny rock outcrops, sheep shelters (bields), etc.,
 Skol 10 Jan 2015
In reply to jockster:
I used to do a ten mile loop from Old Glossip, picking up Doctors Gate then the Pennine Way.
From there you could nav to Higher Shelf Stones( wreck site and a trig I think), then Hern Stones and on to the Wain Stones.( can't miss those ).
I don't have my map, but I remember descending north east down a large stream bed, then bearing West along a line of grouse butts to old Glossip .
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CCUQFjAI&url=http%3A...
Post edited at 17:11
 Hopevalleypaul 10 Jan 2015
In reply to jockster:

This was on edale MRT facebook feed a while ago, ive not had a chance to do it yet.

"Last night we ran a navigation assessment for three of our aspirant team members. Perfect conditions for it on Bleaklow, wet dark and claggy. We set off from Doctors Gate on the A57. Here are the way points of one of the routes followed in order. Map and compass only, no technical gizmos.

SK 0883 9431
SK 1037 9425
SK 1034 9486
SK 1022 9572
SK 0889 9526
SK 0945 9454

All returned safely in the early hours, including to everyone's surprise the Team Leader."
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Hopevalleypaul:
> All returned safely in the early hours, including to everyone's surprise the Team Leader."

If they lost him up there they'd have to call out the Glossop team wouldn't they? Probably die of embarrassment.
OP jockster 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Hopevalleypaul:

Nice one - perfect, I will check it out, many thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...