UKC

An adventurous week in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom bradley 10 Jan 2015
Hi all,

I'm after some advice and inspiration please....

I have a week off starting 26th January, without my wife who'll be at work, and probably solo as it's a bit last minute for mates to book leave.

I want to scratch the adventure itch and thinking about a long(ish) distance walk, coast to coast, bothying in Scotland (can't get Knoydart out of my head - I've never been) or something different. Ideally UK based and not wanting to fork out hundreds of quid on a guide/course. I live in Devon, so travelling will be a big consideration. I'm happy in winter conditions and can take axe and crampons, although don't want to enter the realms of solo mountaineering, and don't mind spending time under canvas.

I'd love to hear your ideas and what you'd be getting up to given this brief.

Cheers

Tom
 Dr.S at work 10 Jan 2015
In reply to tom bradley:

Sleeper to corrour, walk to aviemore.

Reasonable number of bothies, both valley and tops options depending on weather, can bail at dalwhinnie, worst of the weather at your back?
In reply to tom bradley:

Tom

How fixed is your time off? Perhaps delaying a month would give your mates time to sort something out?

FWIW, I'll be driving from Cornwall to the west of Scotland on or around the 15th February and coming back the following weekend. I've already got stuff to do sorted out up there, but I'm happy to offer the lift.

Martin
OP tom bradley 10 Jan 2015
In reply to tom bradley:

I like the Corrour to Aviemore idea - thanks.

Martin - thanks a lot for the offer. It's a last-minute fixed week, but just wanting to use it wisely.

Keep coming with ideas folks....
 d_b 14 Jan 2015
In reply to tom bradley:

How about the loch Mullardoch round? I did it last Easter, hardly saw anyone until I was on the Affric side. It will not be a pushover in winter conditions.

Pics from last easter: http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2014/mullardoch
 Ramblin dave 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Sleeper to corrour, walk to aviemore.

> Reasonable number of bothies, both valley and tops options depending on weather, can bail at dalwhinnie, worst of the weather at your back?

That sounds good, although I've never spotted a particularly natural looking route from Dalwhinnie through to Glen Feshie or Glen Tarf.

Similar things I've got my eye on would be:
Glenfinnan to Inverie
Achnashellach to the Cluanie Inn
Blair Atholl to Aviemore via Glen Tarf and Glen Feshie and back via the Lairig Ghru and Glen Tilt
Dalwhinnie to Fort William (or Kinlochleven)
etc...
 edunn 14 Jan 2015
In reply to tom bradley:

Second Corrour to Aviemore (via the Lairig Ghru?).

Maybe also think about the West Highland Way (or parts of), perhaps not too many bivis, but plenty of campsites and wild camping spots towards the northern end.

Enjoy whatever you get up to!
 fimm 14 Jan 2015
In reply to tom bradley:
One of the usual routes in to Knoydart is to get a train to Glenfinnan and walk in from there. Plenty of bothies in that area. Then get the boat from Inverie to Mallaig and get the train home.

I'd check what is open in Inverie at this time of year, though!
Post edited at 15:31
 Flinticus 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:
A bit convoluted but, from Dalwhinnie, you could head via Creag Ruadh on the dam access road, up Allt Coire Chuaich, cross high plateau just south of Bogha-clioche, descend path to Gaick Lodge, head north past Loch an t-Seilich, take track east by Allt Bhran then track above north side of Allt na Cuilce into Glen Feshie. Only the plateau section is pathless (at least on the OS 1:50,000)
Post edited at 15:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...