UKC

Broken talus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xbraddersx 11 Jan 2015
Not long after I post about pushing harder through a plateau, I manage to break my talus in a freak fall :p

I haven't been climbing that long (a year) and even I've managed to out do myself with this injury (I'm hypermobile, so I have a propensity to hurt myself. Heh. Can't help what sport you enjoy!)

I've read a through threads on here, but they're fairly old. Anyone go through something similar, recently?

I've had to suspend my PhD for 3 months and I'm sort of going insane with the lack of activity. Also missed my first winter experience in Scotland over the New Year.

So, for those who like the gory details:
I fell when bouldering (indoors). Went for a big move a little too statically in the corner (but away from) a slab. Lost my balance and fell uncontrolled. My left foot smashed into ... something hard. A hold/the wall/volume close to the bottom. The fall was approx 3 m (yep, 1 cm away from the final hold)

I have an oestochondral fracture of the talar dome, and have been non-weight bearing for over 4 weeks now. I was originally told I could partial bear weight from 4 weeks, but my next appointment is on Wed and I'm waiting on the results of an MRI. Surgery pending the MRI.

well, that was therapeutic. With no climbing or PhD I'm finding my time difficult to manage. There's just so.. much!

iccle_bully 11 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

I did the same thing a couple of years back, once the MRI had confirmed there were no lose pieces floating around I was told to crack on and do as much as my ankle would allow. By that point my ankle had stiffened up and developed quite a lot of scar tissue which it took several very painful sessions of massage to remove.

Whilst I was on crutches I did a lot of finger board sessions (see photos of Shauna training with a broken leg for inspiration) and as soon as I was able to drive I was swimming with a float between my legs.

I have made a full recovery and with all the strengthening exercises my damaged ankle is now actually stronger than the other one!
OP xbraddersx 11 Jan 2015
In reply to iccle_bully:

Oh, that's reassuring! I was actual given a boot with motion capability to encourage movement. I've lost some mobility but I'm hopeful that some physiotherapy will help.

Let's hope I get the same news on Wednesday!
 Pete Houghton 11 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

> well, that was therapeutic. With no climbing or PhD I'm finding my time difficult to manage. There's just so.. much!

For the first few weeks, before you're a little more mobile again, I recommend embracing the painkillers wholeheartedly, maybe even supplementing them with a little bit of weed or whisky. Enjoy the downtime by ticking off a few books that you've never had the opportunity to read, or trawling through some TV series that might have passed you by. I'm about to start on The Wire.

I broke a shoulder whilst skiing on Boxing Day, and I'm thrilled to bits with the size of injury that I got, because it could have been a lot worse. Hopefully I'll get the chance to be out on the planks again in a week or so, but there'll be nothing involving ice axes for another month after that, certainly.

Heal well, fingers crossed you can get through it without surgery! Best of luck.

In reply to iccle_bully:

> I have made a full recovery and with all the strengthening exercises my damaged ankle is now actually stronger than the other one!

Have you considered... breaking the other one?
 AdrianC 11 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

I'm on the mend from a cracked calcaneus (the heel bone that the talus sits on) which happened whilst I and a handhold were airborne in Morocco in mid-November. From what I can tell mine was not a bad break and there was no surgery no even a cast of any sort. Now that I'm back weight bearing there's fairly rapid improvement and I've been indoor climbing again in the last couple of weeks. I put some effort into keeping the range of motion as large as possible whilst it was non-weight bearing and suspect that has helped. There's quite a bit one can do in a gym with only one good leg, too. Good luck with it all and be patient!
 squirrel00 11 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

totally agree with mr Houghton , I shattered my tib and fib (12 pieces of bone instead of 2) last april , had a fixator fitted but because I kept getting infections around the pin sites was unable to do any exercise until December when I had it removed, the whisky/weed/ codeine mix with books and boxsets does with out a doubt help pass the time pain free ,just watch out for the munchies .found jim beam honey the best whisky (not really a malt or general whisky drinker).hope all goes well
 You_know_Alf 12 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

Four and a half years on from my own broken talus and able to do most things I want to (running any distance is still a problem, but I've never enjoyed running), a few reflections on my own recovery:

- as others have said, it's a great time to read the books and watch the movies you wouldn't otherwise get round to;
- at times, my recovery seemed to have plateaued, but just keep doing the exercises and you'll regain momentum;
- I found the swimming pool very useful - good for cardio fitness and as a support for doing exercises (great motivation to work your way down the pool steadily increasing the weight taken on the ankle);
- the NHS physios were excellent, but are geared up to getting people out to the shops etc not climbing. I invested in a couple of sessions with a sports physio who designed a gym programme for me - this proved a very good investment;
- my other good investment was a rocker board and a wobble board - still use the wobble board fairly regularly particularly if the ankle's a bit stiff.

David
 Gazlynn 12 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:
Three and a half years on from my break.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104552454694493659140/albums/598286181070744...

It's unfortunately been a little bit of a longer road than others that have posted on here. There where lots of ups and downs for me. Nearly 14 weeks in plaster was a proper downer.

All I can say is to stay positive.

Even now I believe that my ankle is still improving.

I have 75% movement and manage to get most things done although my ankle is stiff every morning and painful after long mountain days.

As David posted Push for as much physio as you can and even consider some private physio sessions if you can afford it.

Pm me if you want any more information.

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 09:04
 jogh 12 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

I have also broken my talus in a fall 5 months ago and am still non weight bearing and in cast awaiting another operation and many more months in cast.
The only thing I can advise so far is to keep yourself as active as possible and go to the gym or something.
Also if it's your right foot like mine you can get your car change to a left foot pedal if it an auto so you can drive yourself about.
OP xbraddersx 14 Jan 2015

So, the general positivity of this thread definitely seems to have helped!

My MRI confirmed it was an isolated fragment and also that there was no fluid between the talar dome and fracture.

This means I can gradually start to put weight through it as I feel comfortable (I've already limped around the house with no crutches!) and start physiotherapy.

For those that had physio, how did you find your private physiotherapist? I'm prepared to pay a bit of money to get back to doing what I enjoy. I'm based in Liverpool, if anyone has any recommendations.

Sorry to hear that people weren't as fortunate as me, I'm very lucky it seems.
Post edited at 16:33
 Neil Morrison 14 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:
Hi broke my talus 15 years or so ago and at the time my NHS physio introduced me to a wobble board to get the mobility back. I've sworn by it ever since for keeping flexibility and strength. You will get them on amazon with a quick google but make sure you buy the wooden ones rather than plastic. They come in different sizes with the ones that create the greatest angle for more advanced work ie when you are near to full recovery. My break was pretty bad and I was able to be back climbing ( albeit with short walks and I had to be cautious) within 7-8 weeks. I'm sat here with a well smashed lower tibia and will be on the wobble board when the docs and physios give me the all clear. Best of luck with it.
In reply to couldxbe:

Some great positive responses. A good Physio is a must, to keep you pushing forward with the rehab. See the NHS ones as much as allowed then get a good private one (research). Bear in mind it will still take ages to rehab (is it 1 month for each week non-weight bearing as a rough, non scientific guide!!), but you will get there. And totally agree a wobble board is a must. Keep going
 You_know_Alf 15 Jan 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

If you can make it "across the water" to the Wirral, I used Chris Malkin (ex Tranmere Rovers legend with a good history of his own injuries) - his website is www.chrismalkinphysio.co.uk

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...