UKC

Emigration inspiration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuartpicken 11 Jan 2015
Hey folks,
Back story:
I'm a few months away from graduating from university, and am obviously thinking about direction after that. As I've no real obligations in my personal life, and my degree has no 'expiry date' per say, I was looking to take some time to travel and focus on climbing. Overarching goal: alpine climbing. However, for the next summer and winter season i want to emphasis improving technical ability on rock and ice.
So yea, what i'm looking for is suggestions about great places to live, work and climb. As I've said, my priority would ready access to quality summer and winter climbing. However, availability of work, and cost of living are obviously crucial factors (As they directly affect how much climbing you can get after!). Last of all I'd like an interesting cultural experience; a bit of an adventure. This is why emigration is preferable, though i'm not adverse to remaining in the uk (from scotland).
anyways, i have a few ideas - places like Squamish spring to mind (i lived in vancouver 2013-14). Anyone have experience of places like New Zealand? America (Colorado?). Closer to home?
anyways, thanks for any feedback folks! More ideas the better, as that's more avenues to investigate!
 LeeWood 11 Jan 2015
In reply to stuartpicken:

Will depend on your linguistic bent if any?
OP stuartpicken 11 Jan 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

currently none, although i'd be psyched to learn. I guess in the short term it would substantially impact employment prospects though. I do also have a few months before the end of my degree, and could potentially get the rudiments of something before the end.
 wbo 11 Jan 2015
In reply to stuartpicken: what degree are you doing? Getting a green card for the us is not often easy

james wardle 11 Jan 2015
If i was in your shoes i would go to New Zealand south island at the drop of a hat

you can get a young person's work visa no problem if under 30

language is almost english!

if you base yourself in christchurch you can be climbing serious alpine stuff one day and bouldering on the beach the next.

work wise its quite easy to pick up seasonal work picking fruit and veg. depending on your degree there are more interesting jobs though harder to get, and perhaps without the flexibility to climb that temping will give you.

good luck
Post edited at 17:49
 Webster 11 Jan 2015

Living in wyoming is awsome! Vedauwoo (world famous fat crack country), devils tower (iconic landmark and awsome cracks from hairline to chimneys), a long cold winter with tons of reliable water ice. limitless alpine stuff in the wind river and teton ranges, plus fairly close to everything colorado has to offer (winter/summer, rock/ice, alpine/cragging).

and a true 'wild west' feel to add to the mix and a very friendly and welcoming population
 Craigyboy13 11 Jan 2015
In reply to james wardle:

sounds good, i was thinking of NZ myself. whats the money like for fruit picking??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...