UKC

Simple Remote control outdoor wildlife photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 11 Jan 2015

I would like to setup a simple system to take pictures of a couple of our bird feeders. They are about 3m from the kitchen window. I m think something like a remote control digital compact in a weather proof enclosure mounted pretty much next to the feeders. I can get then post a thread entitled lovely tits in the sun today along with a link to the pics. We have a number of oldish digital compacts including an lx 3 that I got off here. None have a built in remote I think so am happy to buy something off ebay to do the job . Other than thinking about it a bit i have got no further . Any ideas ? (Other than stop being so puerile )
Post edited at 13:00
 deepsoup 11 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:
Is there a Canon compact among your oldish cameras? You could look into CDHK.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

You can use it to trigger the camera remotely through its USB port, or alternatively there are various 'motion detection' scripts you could try using to trigger the camera automatically.
OP mike123 11 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:
Thanks for the links , tempted by the hand cam kit, we do have a canon something or other. Now then, where is it ?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 13 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

No idea I'm afraid Mike. But would be keen for some feedback on whatever system you decide on
 yorkshireman 13 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

If you only want it occasionally and stick to fair weather, use your phone with a tripod and a bluetooth remote shutter. I bought one off Amazon the other day for just a few quid and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Topwell%C2%AEWireless-Self-timer-Controller-generat...
 d_b 13 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

A good quality webcam might be up to the job. Then you can plug it into a laptop and use something like motion to automatically grab frames where there are moving objects.

Tom Last 13 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

I was wondering this the other day, whether - if you knew a bit about electronics - it'd be possible to wire a security camera movement sensor into an intervalometer/shutter release cable that would enable a dSLR to be triggered in this way. Then again, off the shelf models might not be too expensive these days?
OP mike123 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Tom Last:
I ve been reading this (thanks deepsoup) and like the idea of jerry rigging something (i believe the modern term is hacking but i prefer the former)
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
i should have added to my original post that i did google but didnt find much. i ve found the wifes old canon power shot 2 and like the idea of using chdk and some home made electronics to rig it to fire remotely. about ten minutes ago i was drinking a brew watching about 6 gold finches squabbling over the niger seeds, the idea is to have a camera semi permanently setup with a remote on the window sill so i can take close up snaps of the carrying s on .
Post edited at 12:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...