UKC

CR2-JPG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Watts 11 Jan 2015
Hello,

My wife recently purchased a second hand DSLR to upgrade from her old compact camera and on uploading the files to her computer several of the images have come back as CR2 files.

Just wondering how to convert them to JPEG files with out needing any expensive software such as photoshop or aperture?

Many Thanks,

Ben
 FactorXXX 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Ben Watts:

You might find that you have two sets of files (CR2 & JPEG) with an equal number in each. If so, the camera has captured two file formats for each photo that has been taken. If that is the case, then you haven't actually 'lost' any photo's.
Ultimately, you would be better off editing the CR2 file and getting a program for doing that, but in the meantime, just open the JPEG's as you normally would.
 yorkshireman 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Ben Watts:

CR2 is the RAW format where very little processing is done, as opposed to JPEG which takes out a lot of the original detail in order to compress the file size. As said, you might have both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Most decent image editors should be able to at least open and convert CR2 to JPEG.

You should be able to change your DSLR to shoot in JPEG (or RAW *and* JPG).
 JDal 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Ben Watts:

Picasa is good if you aren't used to dealing with photo-editing software. It should handle the CR2 files perfectly well.
In reply to JDal:

+1 I bought a G11 a couple of years ago and my Nikon RAW viewer wouldnt read them. I now use Picassa to view them and then edit in PS Elements.
 FactorXXX 11 Jan 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I bought a G11 a couple of years ago and my Nikon RAW viewer wouldnt read them. I now use Picassa to view them and then edit in PS Elements.

You should be able to get a codec from Microsoft so that you can view CR2 files in Photo Viewer.
KevinD 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Ben Watts:

You can download canons own software from here for free.
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Camera_Software/

Should convert all cr2 files. although havent used it personally so not sure how good it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...