UKC

Groaning and grunting at the wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris_Mellor 11 Jan 2015
When I'm putting out maximum effort at the wall I tend to groan or grunt, often quite loudly, and in an involuntary way. Other climbers are quieter.

Am I rude, wasting energy, a noisy prat or don't other people try so hard?

And should I shut up? (Guess the answer to that is yes.)
 Run_Ross_Run 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Am I rude, wasting energy, a noisy prat or don't other people care?

There, fix that sentence for you.

Howardw1968 11 Jan 2015

I thought people did it to get attention so we can all watch how much better you are at climbing........

Sean Kelly 11 Jan 2015

You don't perhaps play tennis?
 mickd 11 Jan 2015

As long as you're not one of those who takes his t shirt off at the wall even in winter, like its illegal to keep it on. Shout away man!
luke obrien 12 Jan 2015

I heard that power screams increase your grade by up to one V grade and going topless by a further grade. Masters of the art scream as they rip their vest off pushing themselves beyond far beyond mere mortals.
 Simon4 12 Jan 2015
In reply to luke obrien:

> I heard that power screams increase your grade by up to one V grade and going topless by a further grade.

There are some very nice young ladies at the Westway that we should persuade of the truth of that observation. The power screams not so much.
luke obrien 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Just get yourself a 'coach' hoody I'm sure they will believe you
Timarzi 13 Jan 2015

You're not ruder than what I tend to say to the wall, although I do keep it quiet; no spare energy to use on shouting! I'm not better than anybody, just fat.
 planetmarshall 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> There are some very nice young ladies at the Westway that we should persuade of the truth of that observation.

Have a slow handclap for that one.

Steve nevers 13 Jan 2015

I tend to shout a bit, but mainly when I've just missed the last move.
 NorthernGrit 13 Jan 2015

It's usually fairly obvious after a short amount of time the difference between the 'that move required so much effort I needed to grunt a bit' or the 'I've dropped the last move and involuntarily been a bit shouty' and the 'I'm doing my best to make sure everyone looks at me and knows that I'm trying dead hard and am far more motivated than anyone else here' type of grunts.

The former, no one cares. The latter, everyone thinks you're a bit of a div.
 cha1n 13 Jan 2015

Some people make noises when they climb, doesn't bother me.

I occasionally make get a bit shouty for the odd move if I'm on steep compression stuff, must help keep tension or something, less often of vertical ground. Also known to throw a bit of a paddy if I drop the last move on something I've been working for a while.

My girlfriend used to make noises like she was being tortured and another friend's girlfriend used to make orgasm noises. All entertaining.

jsmcfarland 14 Jan 2015

There is a clear difference between 'trying hard' noise and people shouting/screaming because they fell off or got pumped on a lead route. There's a link between vocalisation and effort level, just look at most martial arts, where it is standard practise to shout etc while striking, not only to intimidate the opponent but also to release 100% effort. There's probably research somewhere on the subject, I'm kinda curious
 Steve nevers 14 Jan 2015
In reply to cha1n:

> Also known to throw a bit of a paddy if I drop the last move on something I've been working for a while.

Afraid to admit I once got so annoyed at dropping the last move of a 18 move 7A repeatedly I did boot my chalk bag across the room...

..straight into the chest of a poor wall employee as they rounded the corner. Poor girl, sorry again.
 Thrudge 15 Jan 2015

Moves requiring gut-busting effort on my part sometimes elicit an explosive sound reminiscent of a pig being informed of the death of a loved one.
 krikoman 15 Jan 2015

> Am I rude, wasting energy, a noisy prat or don't other people try so hard?

> And should I shut up? (Guess the answer to that is yes.)

Yes, you guessed right
 RobertHepburn 15 Jan 2015
I often make a noise like a steam escaping when I try hard - once took a video of myself on an overhanging boulder and it was like a steam train leaving the station .
 mcgovern 26 Jan 2015

Shouting when doing the hard bit ensures that your body is breathing out, thats why it helps and why people do it. It can also increase the psyche level of the climber and boost confidence. I dont really do it unless on a really hard move and it definitely does help. People can over do it though but I just find it funny, especially when they're screaming their way up a 6a :P
OP Chris_Mellor 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris_Mellor: thank you for that. I feel a dick after grunting out loud on a hard move but it does seem to be part of making a big effort. Cheers,

jon 26 Jan 2015

You're just expelling air due to exertion... or maybe fear. In which case, probably safer/more acceptable than: youtube.com/watch?v=sh6vqhOUX8Q&
 Nigel R Lewis 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> There, fixed that sentence for you.

I fixed that one for you.

N
 Kemics 26 Jan 2015

I don't make any conscious decision to shout it just sort of happens when trying hard. It's usually shortly followed by a decent sized fall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...