UKC

Easy Scramble for a large group (Lake District or North Wales)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
athickett 11 Jan 2015
Hey,

I am organising my stag do and pretty much everyone coming is a scrambler or climber but there will be a few who are just hill walkers. I'm expecting 15-20 people and looking for a simple but interesting scramble to reach a summit for the day (We won't be hung over or drinking while on the scramble before anyone starts that line of thought).

I guess I'm looking for either a recognised grade 1 scramble or an alternative rocky route to a summit, Ideally not in the Coniston hills as that is where I live and so have done everything around there lots of times.

Hope you can help and offer a few suggestions, I'm after cottages also so any tips on that would be welcome too.

Thanks

Adam
 Cadairmanuk 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

Ddear ddu ridge on moel Siabod comes to mind. Easy enough ridge , you can make it as easy for hard as you like and a great day out.

Ben
athickett 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Cadairmanuk:

Ben looks good thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind

Adam
 ben b 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

I was going to recommend Moel Siabod as well - up through the old quarries to Ddaer Ddu and along the quieter NE ridge before dropping back down to the track across the moor. Alternatively there is a dull but easy path down to Plas y Brenin which can take you to the Bryn Tyrch.... Some good large houses in Betws y Coed would sleep 15 or so, or if you just needed space for 6 there's the one by the car park at Cyfyng which is both well placed for the hills and the pub afterwards, or the 3 cottages actually at the base of the track across the moor.

Have fun - my stag do ended up a fellrunning trip from Brecon to Pen y Fan and back before curry, beer and a band. All very enjoyable and without the pressure to be 'crazee mad' that can plague stag dos.

Cheers

b
athickett 11 Jan 2015
In reply to ben b:

Thanks ben the second, yeah I don't want the day/evening to end up as a big miss but I do wanna do something a little different and interesting.

I'll look up the cottages and check out the route.

Thanks
 ben b 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

No problem. There are these ones: http://www.siabodholidaycottages.co.uk - farmer used to be famously angry but either under new ownership or he's realised there's more money to be made fleecing tourists rather than sheep

I've stayed in the house at Cyfyng, will dig out the details.

b
 Mark Eddy 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

You could try the North West Spur of Esk Pike. Here's a link to a brief description (in winter conditions, but will give you enough info): http://mark-mountainjourneys.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/ridges-of-esk-pike-bow...
 tim000 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

this place would be handy too http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/cartref-oro

stayed there a couple of times , very nice.
 ben b 11 Jan 2015
In reply to tim000:

Yep, that's the one one at Pont Cyfyng - nice walk out the back to Crafnant too.

b
 Graeme Hammond 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

I had a similar stagg do with 18-20 people too, we did Pinnacle Ridge (Grade-3). from Patterdale with most people where fine and just scrambled apart from a safety rope on the short more difficult section, and 2 people who where not climbers but had done hill walking were taken up alpine style but probably didn't need to be the whole way as most of the rest of the scrambling is only grade 1 at most. good fun was had by all and we went onto the summit, then some went over Fairfield and we all met up at Grisdale tarn, everyone then went up Dollywagon pike and onto Helvellyn where we decended via No match for climb id:42624 which was a top day.
 Graeme Hammond 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

in north Wales similar days out on the North ridge of Tryfan and Bristly Ridge (Grade-2) or snowdon via Crib Y Ddysgl - Crib Goch Traverse (Summer) (Grade-1) could be fun
 Happeuss 11 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

Did North Ridge of Tryfan and down the heather path for my stag do, camped at the farm on the other side of the lake from Plas Y Brenin. Had a few pints in the Brenin Bar afterwards and then over to the RAC Boulders for the evening's entertainment.

Had a great time and took up people who only walk to the shops and back.
 alasdair19 12 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

depending on dates you could find a climbing club hut big enough to accommodate you all.

my club has a small terrace in Bethesda sleeps 12 -14 good friends. (London jmcs)

alternative my the Lancashire mountaineering club has just finished building a bigger place near Beddgelert.
 Mike Peacock 12 Jan 2015
In reply to athickett:

If you did opt for Daear Ddu on Moel Siabod you could stay at Gwydyr MC's hut. You can walk from the door up Siabod.
http://www.gwydyrmc.org.uk/Hut/Facilities
athickett 18 Jan 2015
Thanks for everyone's input, I am gonna have a luck through all the suggestions but Tryfan is something that is appealing to me and I've thought of before.

great to hear that a few of you have had similar stag dos and with people who are more used to walking to the shops and pub too.

Adam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...