UKC

EFFIMERI BARBAGLI - Cascate di ghiaccio in Valle d'Aosta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Williams 11 Jan 2015
>
I realise it's an extremely long shot but does anyone know if the following new ice climbing guide for the Aosta valley can be bought here in the UK? I've looked in all the usual on-line places but I could easily have missed something.

EFFIMERI BARBAGLI - Cascate di ghiaccio in Valle d'Aosta - by Matteo Giglio

Thanks in advance for all suggestions/ help.

Dave
 rhoppen 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

Hi Dave,

I mailed the publisher and they send a copy to Holland.
It arrived in 5 days.
OP Dave Williams 12 Jan 2015
In reply to rhoppen:

Thanks for that; very useful. As far as I can find out, it doesn't appear to be for sale anywhere other than in Italy.

I've already emailed the author as he says on his website that you can buy it directly from him. If that fails I'll get in touch with the publisher as you did.

Good suggestion; thank you.

Dave
 rhoppen 12 Jan 2015

gl

It's a very very detailed topo. Only available in Italian but I heard they're working on an English translation. for next winter (2014-2015).
OP Dave Williams 12 Jan 2015
In reply to rhoppen:

That's useful to know too. An English version would guarantee some very healthy sales for certain.

Thanks for all your help; much appreciated.

Dave
OP Dave Williams 17 Jan 2015

Update - just in case anyone's interested.

*Apparently* this brand new ice climbing guide to the Aosta valley is currently only for sale in Italy (as it's written in Italian only) and there are no plans for a wider distribution at the present time. (I would be surprised though if it doesn't soon find its way to some of the shops in Chamonix - assuming it hasn't done so already.)

So if anyone wants to get their hands on a copy, I can only suggest that you do the same as me and contact the author directly and he'll post you a copy. Matteo works as local mountain guide; he's very friendly and accommodating and (most conveniently) accepts payment via PayPal. The guide costs 40 € and international shipping/ packing is an additional 13 €.

All you need to know is here: http://matteo-giglio.blogspot.it/p/effimeri.html

Dave
 James Thacker 18 Jan 2015

It's available in Chamonix and is VERY GOOD. Shame there isn't more ice..
OP Dave Williams 29 Jan 2015
In reply to James Thacker:

> It's available in Chamonix and is VERY GOOD.

I thought it might be! It's available in Wales now as well - as my copy has arrived.

Sorry James but I must disagree, it's not VERY GOOD - it's verging on the EXCELLENT. My only criticisms are that it's lacking any sort of index plus the fact that it's quite hefty. Otherwise, the maps/ photos/ descriptions etc are all superb.

For anyone going ice climbing in Cogne/ Aosta this new guidebook is now a 'must-have'. It's not cheap admittedly, but it's a big book of over 470 pages - easily as big as Mario Setori's Alpine Ice. It contains enough ice climbs to literally last a lifetime and also gives huge scope for exploring off the beaten track and avoiding the queues in the usual honeypots of Valeille, Lillaz and Valnontey. In this latter respect it's going to be 'field tested' very very shortly.....

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...