UKC

Anyone work in the UK but live in France?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gawyllie 13 Jan 2015
I work offshore in the UK and should soon get a rotation with work. I was thinking about moving to Chamonix in the near future but the tax situation seems to be a bit of a nightmare (at least to me!)

according to this document I would be a UK resident as I will spend more than 183 days in the UK (much of them will be offshore in UK waters but i'm sure that still counts)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/3...

and according to the one below I would be a French resident and liable for French income and property Tax because the property in France would be the only one I have. My property when I am onshore in the UK would be my Parents house where I am currently living.

http://www.kentingtons.com/blog/tax-residency/are-you-a-tax-resident-of-fra...

anyone have any knowledge about this or in a similar situation?

thanks
 BnB 13 Jan 2015
In reply to punj:

The point of a double taxation treaty, as referenced in the link, isn't to make sure you pay tax twice, it is to ensure that you only pay one set of taxes. Once you have established which residency has priority you would register with that tax authority, and, if it is France, then register with HMRC as resident abroad. Unfortunately you can't (easily) choose the one that suits you best. If your UK employer pays through PAYE you would then have to reclaim UK tax from HMRC (nightmare) or agree with your employer to pay you gross and for you to declare your income to the French authorities. Failure to make this declaration would be a criminal offence so be sensible. Or something like that. I'm not an accountant so take this with a pinch of salt.
 LeeWood 13 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I know some retired folks here in France who may have to return to UK because they believe subsequent to recent legislation that they will be subject to tax reductions 2x - from their pension funds.
 BnB 13 Jan 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

I can believe it. You still have to meet the requirements of the treaty to avoid the double charge. We get it all the time in business when we have to prove tax residency in the UK to avoid withholding tax being levied on receipts from Asia and Africa. It's a minefield.
OP Gawyllie 13 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I think what you say is pretty accurate.

I've found out that Apparently Days offshore do not count as UK residency days so I would be a french resident however it looks like i could end up at least initially paying tax twice then having to claim back from HMRC.

I have had a taste of self assessment tax returns in the past and that experience is making me believe this just isn't going to be worth the hassle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...