UKC

Free lifts / Lift passes anywhere?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 13 Jan 2015

Are there any decent resorts that have free lifts or any operators that offer free lift passes?

I'm quite keen to get away for a week snowboarding. I've got my own equipment and am not too fussed about the terrain, so long as it's not full of flat areas.

The key factor is that it needs to be cheap, basic accommodation is fine. It's always the lift passes that make the cost too much!

Thanks for any info.
Post edited at 13:59
 Doug 13 Jan 2015
In reply to cha1n:

several offer free lifts if you are over 70, but how do you think a resort could stay open if it didn't charge for lift tickets ? although I guess you could invest in a pair of skins & a splitboard

ps - many years ago it used to be possible to work a couple of hours in exchange for a day lift pass at Cairngorm, no idea if thats still the case & I suspect not (I was responsible for a lift after maybe 2 minutes 'training', mostly "if anything goes wrong push this big red button")
 hang_about 13 Jan 2015
In reply to cha1n:

I got a two for one at La Rosiere last week via Crystal. Much more affordable than buying at the desk
OP cha1n 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug:

Thanks for the fast replies.

I seem to remember that there was a free lift on a fairly limited run at one of the resorts in Banff when I was there many years ago. Wasn't sure if this was the case for areas in Europe.
 Doug 13 Jan 2015
In reply to cha1n:

Many resorts have a short free lift for beginners but I suspect you'd be bored very quickly if that's all you had available. There are also some very small French ski areas which are around 10 euro a day but again they tend to have very few lifts & runs.
In reply to cha1n:
Wasn't sure if this was the case for areas in Europe.

Quite a few resorts do have a free lift. Some are simply very short ones for beginners, warming up practice for those arriving late in the day, and sometimes for allowing access to accommdation further up the slopes, etc. Occasionally I've seen a free lift serving a larger run - Tignes comes to mind. As has been said you will get bored if that is all you are going to ski though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...