UKC

SiIvretta Ski Tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nemo9 14 Jan 2015
I'm ski touring in the Silvretta in March and after any advice from people who have skied there before. I have a rough idea of possible tours from looking at the itinerary of various guided trips but would appreciate any suggestions of good routes to do and peaks to climb. Do you need to book the huts well in advance or would we be ok just booking ahead the day before ( going 10th to 17th March) ? Would like to keep the schedule fairly flexible if possible. Is it worth buying the Bill O' Conner guide book ? Hopefully be doing more tours in years to come. Would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers, Dave
 Aigen 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Make sure and book ahead. It's not worth getting the guide book. Just look at the route on Google earth.
craigloon 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

I've done it twice, both times roughly the same itinerary. We started off in Galtur. If you phone ahead, the Jamtalhutte guardian will pick you up from the trailhead by skidoo or piste basher, which saves a long slog to the hut. We did some local peaks from the hut the first couple of days (I recall Gemspitz and Hintere Jamspitz) before moving on to the Wiesbadener hut via the Dreilanderspitz, which is a cracker. We would like to have gone to the Tuoi Hut and done Piz Buin, but the weather was forecast to crap out and we weren't sure if we could get back. Skied out to Wirl just down the road from Galtur. Need to be careful on the Bieltaljoch-Wirl section as it goes through a narrow valley that is avalanche prone. Have fun, its a great tour!
 Doug 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Did a tour in the Silvretta many years ago (20 ?) - we mostly relied on the ski routes shown on the 1: 25 000 maps, together with chatting to hut wardens (when we could, none of us spoke German). We didn't book ahead but, there were only 3 of us & it was about 20 years ago. I guess we read the chapter in Peter Cliff's book as well (which was the only book available in English at the time) but didn't follow his suggested route
 inboard 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Definitely book ahead. At least you're not going at Easter, when it will be really busy, it's still likely to be fairly busy.

Bill O'Connor's book is great for ideas and inspiration, some of the days/ routes can be optimistic for even fairly fit folk. But it's not vital (though if you're newish to touring then the intro chapter on route planning/ travel in avalanche terrain etc may be useful)

What is very useful is the Swiss LK 1:50000 map with ski route overlay (and including grades, cautions, short narrative, hut & public transport info printed on the back). Although the Austrian/ German Alpine club maps [DAV] (at 1:25k) will have ski routes (if you get the winter rather than summer version), they're not always up to date which can makes a big difference on Austrian glaciers that have retreated significantly in recent years. More, the DAV maps don't give route grades or any narrative info. Because Silvretta is right on the border, I think all of that tour (IIRC) can be done using LKS maps. So with the Tarasp sheet (and possibly Arlberg) you really would have enough info not to bother with O'Connor's book. If you're not aware of it, then http://map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en is a great resource for plotting.

Oh, and re. Craigloon's point about getting to Jamtal hut - you can also get there by using the lifts to one of the top stations above Ischgl, then skiing down to Zeblasjoch, and a short skin then another fun descent right to the hut. much better than slogging up the long gentle incline of the valley track.

Lots of fun days out around Silvretta. The Tuoi hut, just across into Switzerland from either Jamtal or Wiesbadner huts, is lovely. great custodian and fab food.

have fun.
 Aigen 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

I have a google earth file of the route (and huts) we did last year. the google earth imagery and slopes are very good for that area. Send me a PM and I will send it to you.
OP Nemo9 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:
Thanks for you replies. That's really helpful advice. Once I have worked out our route I will book the huts. Tuoi hut looks cracking. Silvretta and Sarrbrucker huts also look good, has anyone stayed there ? Looking at the website for the Sarrbrucker it seems to be only open in April. Are the huts ok with you cancelling a reservation at short notice, say due to bad weather or conditions ?

I think we might stay in the Heidelberger Hut on our first night. Does anyone know how long it would take to ski there from the closest lift in the Ischgl ski area ? I don't fancy forking out £40 for a day pass but you can buy a cheaper one that is valid from 2pm . Would this allow enough time to get up the lifts and ski over to the hut ?

Cyberpunk, a google earth file of you route would be really helpful . I will send you a pm

Thanks,

Dave

Doug 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Stayed at both the Silvretta (1 night) & the Saarbrucker (2 nights). Fairly musical 2nd evening when one of my friends spotted an accordion on a shelf, started to play only to be joined by the warden on clarinet ! But I guess the wardens will have changed since 1990 something. Both huts are quite large, but not crowded when we where there (March).

Huts in general are OK with late cancellations if due to bad weather/dangerous snow conditions. I've even had wardens contact me to say not to come if possible as the approach was too dangerous.
 inboard 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Yes, the halfday lift pass from 2pm leaves plenty time to do at least one or two on piste warmup runs if need be before heading over to the hut.

Mr Powly 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Another option is to ring the Heidelberger hut, who will collect you by skidoo or piste basher from Ischgl for about 25 euro.
OP Nemo9 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug:

That's sounds like my kind of hut! I think the biggest challenge on this tour might be trying to limit our beer intake !
Cheers Inboard and Mr Powly, that gives us a couple of options.
 Mr Powly 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

Rather than starting a new thread, does anyone know anywhere hostel-like in the Ischgl/Galtur area to stay for a night either end of a week's touring? We were intending to stay in the Heidelberger hutte on our first night, but they are apparently full so I need to find another option. Suggestions most welcome.

jasonpm 05 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr Powly:

We stayed here, a cheapish Hotel and they looked after our spare kit while we toured. Very friendly and a great breakfast. http://www.gorfenspitze.at
 Mr Powly 05 Mar 2015
In reply to jasonpm:

Thanks, they can do our last night but not the first unfortunately.
 garrett85 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr Powly:

The Haag Spitze is a really nice shortish tour from the Jamtal huette (Which is more like a hotel, it has electric doors ffs). They have guide books and the like in the huts, so I wouldn't bother buying one unless you're planning on going back a lot
If you have trouble getting accomodation in Ischgl or Galtur, you can always get the free bus up from Landeck (which is where you'll arrive if you're going by train)
 KA 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Nemo9:

I have written a blog about our trip there last April, might be useful:

http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2014/05/11/ski-touring-silvretta-alps-...
OP Nemo9 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr Powly:
We are staying in Innsbruck as we have to pass through there on the train from Munich airport. From there it's a 2 hour train/ bus ride to Ischgl. When are going ? We are heading out on Monday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...