UKC

Talk to me about Sheds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 14 Jan 2015
As my 6x3 shed made of paper has now collapsed in a mess in my garden, I'm looking to replace it with something more substantial (preferably weather tight enough for year round use, power supply etc) that I can use to store my bikes and climbing gear that are slowly taking over the house.

I've come across these sheds which have a different "log cabin" construction... does anyone have any views on how good these are in terms of longevity? http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Log-Cabins/BillyOh-Traditional-Log-C...

On visiting a shed emphorium that didn't stock sheds of that construction type, I was told they have a tendency to pop out and need rebuilding.... I'm not sure if this was because he didn't stock them or it was a genuine concern with this type of shed?

Anything else I should be aware of? things that you wish you had done when you put your shed in?

Thanks for your help
 Skol 14 Jan 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:
Make sure you get a pressure treated one.
This saves re treating every 12 months.
Got mine from Bridgemere Nurseries, Stoke.£800 but well worth it.
 kathrync 15 Jan 2015

My parents have a pre-fab concrete shed. It was delivered in blocks that you put together yourself. Probably far more expensive than a wooden one, but they've had it for 25 years, it has moved location twice and is still fully water-tight. Just a thought if you really are looking for longevity!
OP balmybaldwin 15 Jan 2015

Interesting idea on the concrete shed, only problem might be actually getting it into the garden (although the storm last night has helpfully removed several panels)
 Sharp 15 Jan 2015

We've had similar style log cabins at work (as accommodation) and they've lasted well, the planks that make them up are about 1.5-2" thick and we treat them every year or couple of years (even though they're pre-treated). I'd expect a good quality one would easily last 10 years if you keep treating it. They're expensive though and if it's a permenant shed you want with power etc. and warm for winter you could probably make something cheaper with 4 sunken posts and plankingwith a tin roof,cheap insulation behind chipboard inside and sat on a concrete base and that would last you far longer.
 Mike Stretford 15 Jan 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin: In the end I went for a brick shed with a sloping corrugated roof. It cost twice as much as the sturdiest wooden shed but it's a hell of a lot more secure, and won't blow away.

fmck 15 Jan 2015

If you build your own you get a lot more for your money obviously. I did a timber frame, sheeted with versapanel. finished with a roller applied render paint. Firestone rubber roof.
 gethin_allen 15 Jan 2015

My dad bought a massive (about 5m X 4m) log cabin thing about 5 years back. It has a main area with a sauna in a separate bit and then a tool shed type bit accessed from a separate outside entrance. The construction in general is really solid with with 1.5" thick tongue and groove planks interlocking at the ends and tied together on the inside with brass straps running vertically to hold the whole thing together. It went together quite easily but we did have a few issues with dodgy planks that needed replacement. My only real gripe with it is the doors aren't at all secure so I'd never even think about storing bikes or expensive tools in it.

If I were looking to replace my shed I'd probably look at a metal shed that I'd mask with planting. Nice and secure, no painting, last forever.
 Fredt 15 Jan 2015
After last years storms blew my little shed down, I researched and hunted all over the country and eventually ended up with one of these:
http://www.yorktimberproducts.co.uk/hobby-house-log-lap-garden-shed

It took me a long time because this was the only people who made a shed that looked like that from the front which is what I wanted.

Cost about a grand, but the insurance paid for that.

Very good quality, tannalised, (Pressure treated - so it shouldn't rot) but it does leak a bit in windy rain, especially around the windows. It even had window boxes, looks very alpine with geraniums in!
So I am planning a weatherproofing project in the spring to seal the windows and look into more waterproofing on the outside.

I had considered building one myself, but I figured these guys could build it better, and I can spend my time putting in shelves, bike hangers, power supply, lights, a bench etc.
Post edited at 17:04

I've got a painted steel shed which installed 10 years ago and it's still going strong, the only problem is it suffers with condensation forming on the inside of the roof panels when conditions are right but it's not a major problem.
OP balmybaldwin 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Thanks. Good to know that there isnt an inherent priblem with that construction, there seems to be a huge variety of choices to think about.

For bike security i'm looking at sinking some big metal loops in the ground and bringing them through he shed floor, although I havent worked out how ill keep closed up to stop draft, or cats mice etc getting in underneath...probably some plywood and some expanding foam?
 Sean Kelly 15 Jan 2015

Apparently if your bike or mower, chainsaw etc is stolen from your shed and god forbid, they catch the toe-rag, they don't get a custodial sentence but community service. This is because it is not classed as break-in and entry. Also insurance companies are not keen on paying out for items stolen from sheds, as I know from personal experience!
 nniff 16 Jan 2015

We built a large Wendy house (cowboy homestaed style with verandah and roof overhang) for the kids out of fence panels lined with marine ply. It was built standing on a frame made from fence posts. It served both my kids well and my nieces and was overall far more robust than our garden shed. In the way of these things, it stood abandoned for many years, but overall it stood for about 20 years before it was finally dismantled at which point it was still as solid as it was on day one. It got new roofing felt once in its life. It cost a fraction of what a shed would have done.
 LastBoyScout 16 Jan 2015

> For bike security i'm looking at sinking some big metal loops in the ground and bringing them through he shed floor, although I havent worked out how ill keep closed up to stop draft, or cats mice etc getting in underneath...probably some plywood and some expanding foam?

Good idea - wish we'd done similar in my sister's shed before she had an expensive mountain bike!

Someone I know has what looks like and started out life as a shed in his garden, but then he insulated the walls/roof and lined it with ply to make it warmer and more secure. He keeps motorbikes in it.

If you're looking at keeping valuable things in it, you might consider not having windows, so people can't see/break in easily. I think I'm going to have to frost the window in our garage, although most things are covered with dust sheets.
 gethin_allen 16 Jan 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> If you're looking at keeping valuable things in it, you might consider not having windows, so people can't see/break in easily. I think I'm going to have to frost the window in our garage, although most things are covered with dust sheets.

Curtains, blinds or shutters would do the job, and you can open them when you're inside working.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...