UKC

Dawn wall final push live?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jsmcfarland 14 Jan 2015
In case it hasn't been posted anywhere, there's a live cam streaming TC and KJ finishing the dawn wall. I have no idea what's going on so far but it looks interesting

I'm sure this will also push all the old geezers moaning about the 'commercialization and destruction of the spirit of adventure' over the edge.
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Yes, see the other two threads for link. It's gripped.com/profiles

Anth 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

It's also on NBC News - http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/live-video/watch-live-free-climbers-near-summi... - and the BBC (of all places).
 The Pylon King 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

classic bit of reality TV.
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

So it looks like it's just two pitches to the top now. Or maybe 'a pitch and a half' ??
 barbeg 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Hiya All,

Currently LIVE on BBC Online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30820219

ANdy
 Andy Say 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:
Wish I had their marketing man

Whoever is pushing this out to the media deserves a big bonus!
Post edited at 22:03
 Dave 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Vaguely amusing as there seems to be some British bloke in charge of filming who doesn't seem to realise that every word he utters is being picked up and broadcast round the World live.

stp 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Cool to see it live but looks like a bit of an anticlimax now. Those last pitches look fairly easy. Why could they not have set this up earlier? I'm guessing for the public, ignorant about free-climbing, the only important thing is the top out.
In reply to stp:

It's been going for several days on that other link, with a lot of amazing climbing. I posted the link yesterday but virtually no one on UKC seemed v interested. (There were actually about three links in all to the same broadcast, so no v difficult to find). I thought both of the first two pitches today looked amazing, with very varied climbing.
 stp 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave:

> who doesn't seem to realise that every word he utters is being picked up and broadcast round the World live.

Which stream are you watching? There's no sound on the bbc and NBC broadcasts.
 Dave 14 Jan 2015
In reply to stp:
On the Daily Telegraph...

Bob 14 Jan 2015
In reply to stp:

Just been a reasonable piece on the BBC main news. A little bit of hyperbole but nothing too wrong/cringeworthy and at least they got "free climbing" right!
 JLS 14 Jan 2015
In reply to anyone:

So was that TC leading the current pitch and KJ now seconding?

Is this the last proper pitch or is there another to come?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Jan 2015
In reply to stp:

> Cool to see it live but looks like a bit of an anticlimax now. Those last pitches look fairly easy. Why could they not have set this up earlier? I'm guessing for the public, ignorant about free-climbing, the only important thing is the top out.

Penultimate pitch is 190' with 13a face climbing then 12a crack so hardly 'easy' even for these guys,

Chris
 stp 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

This topo makes it look like the last pitch is 12b:

http://www.yosemitebigwall.com/free-dawn-wall
 stp 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave:

Interesting. It's a different camera from the other streams too.
In reply to stp:

Not much more than 50 feet to go now ... in beautiful evening sun
 Rampikino 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Great viewing. First one up!
 Kemics 14 Jan 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Started watching with about 15 ft of climbing for second. Pretty cool moment to watch live. Looks like some tears, must be emotional to finish a 7 year project. Inspiring stuff. Not bad for a fella with 9 fingers and a boulderer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...