UKC

Flogging for blogging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 15 Jan 2015
1000 lashes http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/saudi-blogger-lashes-amnesty-i... for posting a bit of common sense http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/-sp-saudi-blogger-extracts-rai...

I have never been so thankful that I live in a reasonably secular democracy.
 tmawer 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Barbaric...I hope the media interest and online petitions pursuade the Saudi's to stop this.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Jan 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Yet already this is well down on UKC. This is the most hideous torture imaginable - what the man must think as he waits each week for the orgy of pain each Monday is beyond imagining.

On an entirely unrelated note, Prince Charles, our future head of state, accepted a gift of ceremonial swords from the Saudi Royal family. He should be deeply ashamed of himself, as ashamed as his predecessor should have been for supporting Hitler.
 tmawer 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Yes, the sense of outrage felt at the attack on freedom of speech by 3 religous fundamentalist crazies in France, does not seem matched with similar outrage by the attack on freedom of speech by the Saudi's.
 Sir Chasm 15 Jan 2015
In reply to tmawer:

> Yes, the sense of outrage felt at the attack on freedom of speech by 3 religous fundamentalist crazies in France, does not seem matched with similar outrage by the attack on freedom of speech by the Saudi's.

Unfortunately, people being flogged in Islamic states isn't news.
In reply to tmawer:

> Yes, the sense of outrage felt at the attack on freedom of speech by 3 religous fundamentalist crazies in France, does not seem matched with similar outrage by the attack on freedom of speech by the Saudi's.

Somebody getting whipped for publishing a blog in Saudi Arabia, doesn't get the same coverage as murder of 17 people in France, and you're surprised?
 AdrianC 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

No no - it's normal to respond with violence to being offended. The pope said so only today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30835625
 1234None 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

What's even more crazy is the number of people that the saudis have beheaded since August 2014. At the last count I think it was around 50! For crimes such as witchcraft and sorcery. Hmmmmmm.....

Women banned from driving and many other restrictions on basic human rights. Plenty of Philippinos and Indians working as maids, cleaners etc who are denied exit permits and are therefore unable to leave the country when they wish. Pretty close to slavery at times.

However, so long as they buy billions worth of weapons from us it's OK to cozy up to them....Joint enterprises with America, the UK and other "allies" worth billions seem to mean that this particular regime can get away with many things that would be heavily criticised should they happen elsewhere.
In reply to 1234None:

> However, so long as they buy billions worth of weapons from us it's OK to cozy up to them..

More to do with them sitting on the world's second biggest reserve of Texas tea, surely?

tmawer 16 Jan 2015
In reply to AdrianC:

I heard this.....pretty ill considered comment under the circumstances, still, he's only human!
 toad 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

So a fundementalist state, with an appalling human rights record, a proven history of funding terrorism and jihad and a natural resource valuable to the west...Hmmm, what's our usual response in these circumstances?
KevinD 16 Jan 2015
In reply to toad:
> Hmmm, what's our usual response in these circumstances?

Depends on whether we have sold them some decent weapons recently.

In reply to stroppygob:

> More to do with them sitting on the world's second biggest reserve of Texas tea, surely?

And not being Iran.
OP Andy Hardy 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

For what good it'll do I've signed amnesty's petition https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/saudi-arabia-free-raif-badawi-flogged-bl...

jkarran 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Me too. That'll be my next visa application screwed. Ah well.

It's a truly appalling sentence whatever anyone may think of the crime.
jk
cragtaff 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

This certainly proves that it is an appeasement lie that these excesses are the actions of a few Islamic extremists, these are the actions of a Sovereign State and its legal system. It has no place in the 21st Century.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...