UKC

Lovely essay on Ken Wilson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pneame 15 Jan 2015
Brilliant essay on Ken Wilson on footless crow - old news to some but new to me
http://footlesscrow.blogspot.com
Quite eloquent
 Doug 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pneame:

Thanks for that, I hadn't read the original & its a while since I looked at Footless Crow. I only met a couple of times, the first when he visited some folk camped close to us on Snell's Field & seemed to talk (loudly) late into the night while we were trying to sleep before a dawn start (we were students with no money and had taken to walking up to the Aiguilles very early to avoid bivying).

Has he mellowed with age ?
 Al Evans 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug:

> Has he mellowed with age ?

I sincerely hope not, Ken has influenced for the good so much of British climbing, in fact world climbing.
For my own part there would be a lot of classic routes on Gogarth that would not have existed for years without his brilliant photographs of the crag. I was a member of the CC committee along with Ken that got the restriction on women members overturned. He was an abrasive friend, always.
 Derek Furze 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pneame:

Great article and thanks for the link. I met him once - he visited our new school in Bedford around 1973 to look at the new climbing wall - a rarer thing in those days. Our headmaster - an elderly Brian Kemball-Cook who had been an alpinist before the war, entertained him to school lunch. The climbing club then gave Ken a demonstration by running up and down a few routes, but he was mainly interested in what we had done on grit!
 GridNorth 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug:

He was still pretty vocal at the last CC meeting I attended.
OP pneame 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug:

It doesn't look as if he has mellowed at all!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1787

Good...
Removed User 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

> I was a member of the CC committee along with Ken that got the restriction on women members overturned. He was an abrasive friend, always.

When was that, out of interest?
 The Pylon King 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pneame:

yeah really enjoyed that.
In reply to pneame:

That is a lovely essay, agreed. How come Drummond fell off Pontesford Needle? I never heard that, but if he was trying to solo that horrid HVS to the right of the crack it makes more sense. Gave me a real fright once.

Also interested by the essay on Livesey and Footless Crow itself. I always thought the name was taken from the side of a hippy's van, but they seem to think Livesey made it up himself.

jcm
 Solaris 16 Jan 2015
In reply to pneame:

Great stuff. I first encountered Wilson via "The Black Cliff" and Mountain in the mid-70s and he helped consolidate my thoughts about politics, the environment, celebrity culture and, of course, climbing. I then go to know him a bit when I worked at Pindisports, the most memorable episode being when Stevie Haston chopped a crucial hold on the Sobell Wall's "last great problem". "Why?" "Because it was too easy."

One of the biggest influences on my life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...