UKC

Holiday spot in Argyll or Inner Hebrides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 15 Jan 2015
I'm after some recommendations of holiday spots. Though I'm familiar with the NW highlands and other high mountain areas of Scotland, I've a young family now and I don't think they'd appreciate a full week of Munro bagging.

So I'm looking at the west coast from say Glencoe up to Mallaig and the inner Hebrides as potential spots. As a family we have diverse requirements ; a beach, some mountains (not necessarily Munros), a nice village/small town and the icing on the cake would be a wee crag or bouldering spot for a jaded dad to play on.

Any ideas?
 Steve Perry 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Ardnamurchan.
Removed User 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

I'll second Ardnamurchan
Douglas Griffin 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Mull could fit the bill, especially the Ross of Mull - it's quiet, it's got some wonderful secluded sandy beaches, it's got decent hills nearby. It's got cragging (guidebook by Colin Moody of this parish).

However, the nearest town (village, really) is Tobermory, which is some distance away in the NE of the island.

On the other hand, Iona is a short boat-trip away. You can also get the boat to places like Staffa and/or the Treshnish Isles (we went with http://www.turusmara.com/ ) - if you're there in the late spring, you're almost guaranteed to see Puffins.

In general, Mull is fabulous for wildlife - white-tailed eagles, golden eagles. Otters if you're lucky.

We've been as a family 3 times; absolutely love it.
Removed User 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:
Colonsay
Post edited at 18:15
 Turfty 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Ross of Mull/Fionnphort, fantastic beaches, fantastic pink granite, good wildlife, good low level walks, great rock pooling, Iona...
pasbury 15 Jan 2015
In reply to all:
Thanks for replies, Mull is definitely on the radar as it has some hills, Ardnamurchan lacks them but otherwise seems idyllic. Interested in why colonsay?
Post edited at 19:54
 Smelly Fox 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Turfty:

> Ross of Mull/Fionnphort, fantastic beaches, fantastic pink granite, good wildlife, good low level walks, great rock pooling, Iona...

This.

The campsite and village of Fionnport are excellent. Not too far from on of the most stunning beaches I've ever seen (on Erraid), climbing is lovely and there is even a munro down the road.

One of the nicest places I visited last year (and I did go to Ardnamurchan too).
 Seocan 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

with a young family, try auchrannie in Arran. Caters very well for kids and Arran caters for all.
andymac 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Smelly Fox:

> This.

> The campsite and village of Fionnport are excellent. Not too far from on of the most stunning beaches I've ever seen (on Erraid), climbing is lovely and there is even a munro down the road.

> One of the nicest places I visited last year (and I did go to Ardnamurchan too).

The Munro 'down the road' belongs to me.

£50 admission fee .payable in advance .Now.
 allanscott 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Strontian/Acharacle. Say no more!
 Turfty 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

ahhhhh, lovely. Is that below the quarry at Tormore looking to Eilean nam Ban?

Oh, and very few midgies at Fidden, great for camping in summer.
 skog 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

There are some good suggestions so far.

The best fits for what you're asking are probably the Ross of Mull (perhaps camping at Fidden), or Morar (several possible places to camp; other accommodation not hard to find).

Whilst the Strontian/Acharacle suggestion gets you a huge supply of some of the finest hills in the country plus good beaches and the option to day-trip out to Ardnamurchan, if camping there in Summer the midges will devour you.

Maybe you aren't thinking of camping, or of the midge season, though - in which case it's a wonderful area.
 skog 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Also, there's no reason at all you can't get great beaches and lots of other stuff to do in the NW Highlands without any Munro bagging at all. Or with it, and/or smaller hills, if you prefer. The Gairloch area is perhaps the best for that, but there are many options.

I'm not clear whether you already know this; sorry if you do!
In reply to Turfty:

That's exactly where it is!
pasbury 15 Jan 2015
In reply to skog:
Yes you are right but I thought we might make the journey a bit shorter and explore somewhere new too. Gairloch though or poolewe...... I might have to have a rethink!
Post edited at 22:33
 ScraggyGoat 15 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:
Plockton and Applecross, plenty of accommodation, lots of coastal walks / small beaches, so you never feel like you are part of a herd. Quite a few smaller hills. Boat trips for a different way at looking at familiar mountain ranges, and to keep the youngsters happy. Kyle has a swimming pool if the weathers crap and you need somewhere for the kids to easily burn off some energy without getting soaked and muddy. Tourist attractions of Skye and Lochalsh are short drives. Downside boulderings a bit limited.
Post edited at 23:55
 fmck 16 Jan 2015
In reply to pasbury:

Isle of Arran has everything but has a lot of midges June onwards. Scotland in miniature its called and deservedly so.

New subsidised tariffs for the ferry mean you get a return for your car at £27 odd quid (half the previous price) for a one hour crossing.

The ridge walking is some of the best in Scotland leaving out Skye. Lots of scrabbling along narrow ridges. Cir Mhor (google images) is an amazing peak. Crystal clear granite pools for swimming in Glen Sannox/Rosa.

For the family a short ferry to the Buddhist colony on Holy Isle is an experience with a walk up the islands easy access hill.
Great food, malts and cracking beach beer garden at the ferry inn lamlash. Lots for kids around Brodick including the castle and grounds. Brodick has many shops, supermarket, etc. You can take the kids fishing on the boats at lamlash. Many low level prepared walking routes.

Goat fell the islands highest peak is easily accessible and hugely popular with the tourist. The coastal panorama is without doubt one of the most outstanding in Scotland.

Accommodation camping at Glen Rosa is very basic but you can have a camp fire. Other campsites round the Island are much better catered for. Bunkhouse at Corrie croft has family rooms and various B & Bs self catering cottages. Auchrannie is a bit posh but the top end of the scale is the Kilmichael house hotel. Served by butlers and even the gardeners stop working and bow when you walk by. Flamin embarrassing it is and makes you walk by them very quickly.

If you haven't been I would advise you to not bypass. Google the place and have a look.
 Colin Moody 16 Jan 2015
In reply to andymac:

> The Munro 'down the road' belongs to me.

> £50 admission fee .payable in advance .Now.

You don't even live on Ben More Estate!
andymac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Colin Moody:

Yeah .

But I'm an Honorary member.
 Lankyman 17 Jan 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...