UKC

free climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 15 Jan 2015
Yes, I know, *everybody* knows what free climbing is and the difference between free climbing and soloing, so this is a silly question. Humour an old lady, and just remind me what you all understand by "free climbing".

Wikipedia says free climbing is everything that isn't aid climbing: "Free climbing includes solo climbing, traditional climbing, sport climbing and bouldering". I didn't think that was the sense in which the term is used on this site. Put me right please.
 haworthjim 15 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I always thought free climbing was when you got a lift with your mate and didn't contribute to the petrol. Free solo is hitch hiking to the crag to boulder:0))
 Jon Stewart 15 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Wikipedia says free climbing is everything that isn't aid climbing: "Free climbing includes solo climbing, traditional climbing, sport climbing and bouldering". I didn't think that was the sense in which the term is used on this site. Put me right please.

Yes, I think that is how it's used on here and most places. But I think you'd only say "free climbing" when there's a possibility that you might use aid instead, e.g. on El Cap, or Kilnsey (and not on a boulder problem).
 Skyfall 15 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Free climbing is indeed anything that isn't aid climbing. Sports, trad, soloing etc - just not pulling on or standing on anything artificial.

It's the Americans who try to confuse the issue
 petestack 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

> just not pulling on or standing on anything artificial.

So not indoors, then?

In reply to petestack:

> So not indoors, then?

Indoors isn't free. You have to pay to get in.
 d_b 15 Jan 2015
In reply to petestack:

And no quarries.
 stp 16 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

There is some confusion on this site in the news articles between 'freeing' a route and 'free-climbing' a route. The former means making the first ascent of an existing aided route without any aid. The latter can apply to anyone who climbs any route without aid. Sometimes the news reports get this wrong.
OP BusyLizzie 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Thank you all!

L
 Michael Gordon 16 Jan 2015
In reply to stp:

> There is some confusion on this site in the news articles between 'freeing' a route and 'free-climbing' a route.

Examples?

haworthjim 16 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The other day I went to the depot and had forgot mi wallet. Dan was very kind and allowed me to free climb all evening........
I paid double on my next visit but I dunno what that's called.:0))
 MischaHY 16 Jan 2015
In reply to haworthjim:

P-aid climbing. It's like Aid, but easier because you get lighter by emptying your wallet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...