UKC

Beinn Bhan Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robertgiddy 15 Jan 2015
Just wondering if anybody has any intel on Beinn Bhan ice routes for the weekend? Was thinking it might have had a bit more freeze thaw than higher areas and might also be a little less avalanche prone? This could all just be wishful thinking though.....

Any info much appreciated.
 Billhook 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Robertgiddy:

You are probably right.
 planetmarshall 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Robertgiddy:

Poachers is not yet in, so it seems unlikely that Beinn Bhan routes would be in given that they are lower down and nearer to the sea than the Liathach corries.
 andyinglis 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Robertgiddy:

Wishful thinking.....
 Wry Gob 16 Jan 2015
In reply to andyinglis:

"Wishful thinking" = perhaps the most powerful weapon in the winter climber's armoury...
 rogerwebb 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Wry Gob:
> "Wishful thinking" = perhaps the most powerful weapon in the winter climber's armoury...

Yes!,

but why am I working on Monday?
Post edited at 14:39
 Wry Gob 16 Jan 2015
In reply to rogerwebb:

I would say that's just poor planning Roger. Otherwise I might have said "maybe see you up Northwest"

Next week looks like one to be off work, whatever the cost...
 French Erick 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Wry Gob:

easy to say... I had set on my career path before falling in love with Scottish winter climbing- teaching is a shit job for this life long love affair! I don't need 6 weeks in summer...
 Joak 16 Jan 2015
In reply to French Erick:

There is an awful lot of flu/cold bugs doing the rounds at the moment....cough cough!!
 planetmarshall 16 Jan 2015

Move to the Southern hemisphere?
 Robert Durran 16 Jan 2015

> Teaching is a shit job for this life long love affair!

Yes, I find it tough only having 5 weeks holiday between mid December and mid April.

> I don't need 6 weeks in summer......

I somehow reluctantly manage to make good use of it though.....

rogerwebb 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Wry Gob:

Monday is Der Tag.

I will be defending the indefencible, I hope you have more fun.
 French Erick 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:
** thread highjack**
Come now Robert, you should know better. Winter conditions are fickle. I am not a dry tooler. I should be climbing tomorrow because potentially it is the best possible day in many years in the NW. Instead, I'll be carrying on with f*cking prelims. If I could choose my days I would make better use than blocked weeks. 2 weeks at Christmas of which at least 3 days are completely untouchable (Xmas...).

I don't deny I get a lot of holidays. I am not asking for more. I just find that my chosen career- and I like it- is somewhat not very compatible with my winter climbing aspirations.

Of course, I could pull a sickie... but defo not on a prelim day, and almost (never say never) completely against my principles.

I did have a very good day out this weekend though!

**end of thread highjack**

I wasn't on Beinn Bhan but on slioch. My guess is that non ice routes would have been in.
 Robert Durran 18 Jan 2015

> Come now Robert, you should know better. Winter conditions are fickle. I am not a dry tooler. I should be climbing tomorrow because potentially it is the best possible day in many years in the NW. If I could choose my days I would make better use than blocked weeks. 2 weeks at Christmas of which at least 3 days are completely untouchable (Xmas...).

Yes, I do agree that fixed school holidays, however long, can be frustrating when the best weather/conditions do not coincide with them (or when you miss out on a good climbing trip that others plan during term time), but how many other people have the option of taking off days at short notice to take advantage of those fickle conditions anyway?

Overall, we probably shouldn't really complain, though Christmas should definitely be moved to a wet weekend in November (and certainly not plonked right in the middle of a holiday) and school holidays should be concentrated in February and May/June to optimise the chances of maximum climbing days.

> I wasn't on Beinn Bhan but on slioch. My guess is that non ice routes would have been in.

I know it is a lot further south but at a similar height turf was only patchily frozen on the Cobbler today.

French Erick 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Not to worry Robert,
I have seldom seen such conditions on a sandstone crag. It even looked wintry looking up
And it's unclimbable without solid turf... it was stonking some of the best I have ever pulled on!
 Robert Durran 19 Jan 2015

> I have seldom seen such conditions on a sandstone crag. It even looked wintry looking up

Sounds fantastic!
 Sophie G. 19 Jan 2015

There were brilliant conditions on Liathach on Saturday. Loads of unconsolidated snow, so loads of wading to get to the crags and loads of sweeping once you got there--but lovely, lovely hooking, brilliant gear, and some good ice too.

Not that we got very far. We were aiming to do the whole ridge but we got kind of absorbed in what was in front of us. Which seemed to need more pro than I'd brought--I'd stripped the rack right back in the interests of going light and fast. This was a mistake... Still, we abbed off and retreated perfectly happily, and were back in the Kinlochewe Bunkhouse for tea and medals well before last orders.

We drove past Beinn Bhan yesterday. It looked very, very in.
 Lone Rider 19 Jan 2015
And could you see the sea? How long did you take all round?
Well done both of you!
Post edited at 12:53
 French Erick 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Lone Rider:

Great views at times. 15 hours car to car.
 James Edwards 19 Jan 2015

I spent 6.5 hours walking in, 4 hours climbing and 6 hours walking out. Does this mean that i was really going hillwalking?

James e
 Michael Gordon 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Sophie G.:

> Still, we abbed off and retreated perfectly happily, and were back in the Kinlochewe Bunkhouse for tea and medals well before last orders.
>

No medals surely if you back off the route?
 Sophie G. 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Don't we get anything for knowing when it's time to chicken out? Because it was. It definitely was
 French Erick 19 Jan 2015

sorry that's 17hours back to back. I'm a linguist not an accountant.
I'd be interested to know what the conditions on Quinag were? Someone could tell us even if anonymous. Thta's not a crag you hear from often.
 rogerwebb 19 Jan 2015

Great call on the conditions, Glad it wasn't a disappointment!

I suspect Quinag, Cul Mor possibly Suilven would be pretty good. I was on Skye today (working unfortunately) and it was -3 when I left at 6pm and -11 at Achnasheen.

JCurrie 19 Jan 2015
In reply to rogerwebb:

Great call on the conditions yourself, Roger.
I think there'll be some breaking news soon.
Jason
 Neil Adams 20 Jan 2015

Nice one Erick! Very jealous!
 Andy Nisbet 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Robertgiddy:

I didn't see you on Sunday, probably wise. Too much snow insulating the turf (unlike Slioch being west facing). Good potential but not quite there.
 Sophie G. 20 Jan 2015

Stunning achievement, Erick and Rob. I am profoundly jealous

http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=4950

Now I want to go there too...

I think when I do I am going to walk a tent up to the Abhainn an Fhasaigh the night before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...