UKC

Scottish Winter Conditions Report- ALL HILLS CLOSED

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gavmac 16 Jan 2015
Thought a quick update in order, for those who will post in the next few weeks asking- How are things on the Ben? Is the ice forming? Are the roads open? Should I go East or West (or North or South!)? Will Crag X be avalanchee? All Scottish hills are now closed, if you approach from the South with Ice Axes or suspiciously bright Hardshells, you will be turned away. And be warned, if you do come up and heaven forbid do require Mountain Rescue please don't proudly get interviewed on TV discussing your 'epic', that will result in a permanent ban and public flogging. Glad we've cleared that up.
 JohnnyW 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Is Stirling too far South, or can I have an exemption?
 planetmarshall 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

> Will Crag X be avalanched?

Seems unlikely, though Sheffield does tend to bear the brunt of Peak District snowfall.

OP gavmac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

Yes, Stirling has exemption. We've yet to finalise the official cut off point. Choosing Hadrians wall seems somewhat crude.
 ebdon 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Thanks for posting - i was going to head up this weekend but seeing as everything’s closed (i presume that’s what the red X's mean on SAIS?) I’ll head to Norfolk instead, where i hear the avalanche risk is much lower
OP gavmac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

Glad to be of help. You've made a very sensible decision. Now make sure and tell your friends.
 Rampikino 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Nice try, but you seem to forget that it was a "NO" vote back in the referendum. Such decisions are made in London by 600+ braying Henrys/Charlies/Tristans.

Sorry.
 john arran 16 Jan 2015
In reply to ebdon:

> I’ll head to Norfolk instead, where i hear the avalanche risk is much lower

Ooh, be careful; many of the worst avalanches happen on surprisingly low gradients. Set one off on a humpbacked canal bridge and you could take out an entire village.

OP gavmac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

> Nice try, but you seem to forget that it was a "NO" vote back in the referendum. Such decisions are made in London by 600+ braying Henrys/Charlies/Tristans.

> Sorry.

Yes, I know. We gave democracy a chance, turns out it doesn't work. Now for plan B. You have been warned.
 Rampikino 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

I look forward to seeing what happens this evening when I cross the border in my Black BMW with me and 3 other Brayers...
OP gavmac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Rampikino:
'Black BMW' duly noted. I've not overly concerned, the BMW will be stuck in a ditch somewhere unable to cope with 2cm of snow.
Post edited at 14:02
 Carless 16 Jan 2015
In reply to john arran:

And don't forget the deadliest avalanche in the UK was in Sussex
 Rampikino 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

God no! Our 4 WAGS are following in a massive 4x4 that was bought using taxpayers money as we work in investment banking what what.
OP gavmac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

I'm not an unreasonable man, may let the WAGS sneak in...
 Gazlynn 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

> Yes, Stirling has exemption.

Phew....

cheers

Gaz

mike123 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:
I should add that the Police have said that they will be probably be considering shutting the snow gates on the A591 just north of kendal and on the A66 just west of Penrith later today ,until er , late on sunday afternoon. So not worth having a plan B .
 barbeg 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Gavin,

Outrageous...absolutely outrageous........

It is beneath contempt that you should so shamelessly attempt to hide your true intention of heading to Derbyshire this weekend.......................................because you know "It" will be "In"

Somewhat hilariously disgusted,
ANdy
robapplegate 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

It's about time someone closed Scotland down, just like Woolworths its full of overpriced poor quality tat and you always leave it feeling slightly soiled.
 Steve Perry 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

> 'Black BMW' duly noted. I've not overly concerned, the BMW will be stuck in a ditch somewhere unable to cope with 2cm of snow.

RWD so for sure that will happen.
OP gavmac 16 Jan 2015
In reply to robapplegate:

> It's about time someone closed Scotland down, just like Woolworths its full of overpriced poor quality tat and you always leave it feeling slightly soiled.

Correction, poor quality climbers with overpriced gear leaving their tat behind trying to get up an out of condition route in the Cairngorms. Cos it was there one weekend trip a year. Slightly soiled southern softies are not an uncommon sight in the Northern Corries
 JohnnyW 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

> I look forward to seeing what happens this evening when I cross the border in my Black BMW with me and 3 other Brayers...

You and a good few others if the difficulty in getting a bed in Aviemore is anything to go by! Still, it's only for my mates from Liverpool and Brum - I have got my regular spot in the camper
 sbc_10 16 Jan 2015
In reply to john arran:

> Ooh, be careful; many of the worst avalanches happen on surprisingly low gradients. Set one off on a humpback

Thats Norfolk for you.....

They recommend you keep an eye on the slope, an eye on the wind direction, an eye on the Sun, an eye on the temperature. Don't mention the final frontier.....
 Albert Tatlock 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Sir

Where is Crag X, I can not find it in any guidebook or OS map ? .

Mr T
In reply to john arran:

The Cromer Ridge is particularly sensitive to avalanches - stay away - advice from the Cromer Ridge MRT.
 timmyhobby 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

lucky now that oil money has gone!
 splat2million 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

OS Explorer 278. Grid reference SK 353 883.
 alastairbegley 16 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Mother Nature did try to keep us southerners out thanks to all the snow on the motorway
 Piglet69 17 Jan 2015
In reply to gavmac:

Lads how do you feel about unruly Paddys sneaking in along your West Coast. Promise we won't scratch any of your rock or mess up the turf. We will spend in your local hostelries, a boost to the local communites. As a good will gesture I'm willing to out a unit already operating in the NW. Dirty buggers haven't washed in over a week
A

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...