UKC

Guidebooks (Aus & NZ)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rocknast 16 Jan 2015
Hey everyone!

Could anybody recommend any decent guidebooks that cover the climbing areas in Australia & New Zealand. Pretty sure Rockfax don't extend to the Asian continent. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie
 RichardMc 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Rocknast:

There is a new (2014) guide to the North Island - Rock Deluxe North published by the New Zealand Alpine Club. https://alpineclub.org.nz/shop

It is a selective guide but covers pretty much all the worthwhile rock climbing venues.

There is a similar volume for the South Island but it over ten years old and hard to come by. There is a new edition due out any day now

Richard
OP Rocknast 18 Jan 2015
In reply to RichardMc:

Thanks man, i'll check it out!
 Siderunner 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Rocknast:

Both Arapiles (3 hrs from Melbourne) and the Blue Mountains (2hrs from Sydney) have excellent guidebooks. There's a good UKC destination article on the former crag; the Blue Mountains book is written by Simon Carter and he's also got a cut-down sport-climbing only edition which is cheaper and smaller and covers all the worthwhile sport options for a holiday trip.

There's no selected guidebook to the whole area that I know of. I think the travel is just too far and expensive to make a selected climbs book workable, most people go to one or two of the major major climbing areas only.
OP Rocknast 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Siderunner:

Yeah it is a long way. That's a shame though because the climbing in Oceania looks to be the best outside Europe
 RichardMc 10 Feb 2015
In reply to RichardMc:

> There is a similar volume for the South Island but it over ten years old and hard to come by. There is a new edition due out any day now

Any day now has arrived, Rock De Luxe South 2015 is bigger and better.

Richard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...