UKC

RIP Gary Dighton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

Sad that anyone takes their life. I was reading the rock and ice end of year obituary round up and was quite amazed and concerned by the number of high level climbers who did so. It's almost like there is a connection between suicide and those that are able to dedicate themselves so unilaterally to a sport or activity.
 Kimono 17 Jan 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> It's almost like there is a connection between suicide and those that are able to dedicate themselves so unilaterally to a sport or activity.

that really doesn't surprise me
 Banned User 77 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:
Awful, a top Aussie marathon runner, ultra runner and triathlete just took her own life at a similar age, she was an elite coach in Australia but supposedly just never got over her decline with age.. bloody awful. I raced against her 5 years ago when she was still competing internationally, had won Bronze at the commonwealth games in Manchester.

You see lots talk about getting over addictions with sport, I dont think that's true they just replace it for a while, many sportsman (woman) are addictive personalities and post career there's a huge gap to fill, social interactions, the buzz of the sport etc.
Post edited at 18:31
andymac 19 Jan 2015
In reply to IainRUK:

Gazza comes to mind.

In the cycling world, Graeme Obree had his struggles after his career came to an end.

Gladly ,I think he is doing well these days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...