UKC

GPS for skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 18 Jan 2015
I am about to buy a GPS for ski-touring to make shooting off at speed in random directions in general whiteness, as happens, less bothersome for navigating. Is the following line of thinking reasonable:

1) I will still have paper maps so large screens that show maps are not necessary
2) The basic units that just show position are fine but taking a grid ref (or similar) and finding it on a paper map is a fiddle so
3) A small screen with a map is a good option so I can find my position directly on the screen and paper map.
4) Therefore I buy an Etrex 20
 Dark-Cloud 18 Jan 2015
In reply to MG:

Watching this with interest as I am looking for the same thing for the same reason......
In reply to MG:
> 2) The basic units that just show position are fine but taking a grid ref (or similar) and finding it on a paper map is a fiddle so

Really? You don't even need your compass half the time to do this, your eye can easily divide a 1km square on 1:50k into tens to give yourself a 6 figure location.

I do take a GPS for touring, but very rarely use it.
Post edited at 15:19
OP MG 18 Jan 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Well I am guessing having never used a GPS, but I would imagine mentally converting a 6 or more fig ref to a position on a map (where the grid numbers may not be readily visible if it is folded) is harder than comparing two images.
In reply to MG:

Have a shot at it, pick up a map, pick a grid square, try plotting xx4yy6 or xx1yy8 etc visually,you will be surprised how accurate it is.
OP MG 18 Jan 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I can see that final bit is quite quick, it was more finding the "big" square quickly. Some, particularly Italian, maps don't have a useful grid printed on, or grid numbers within the map at intervals like OS maps (just around the edges).

Are you thinking the basic no mapping unit is sufficient? Only £30 or so difference...
In reply to MG:
> I can see that final bit is quite quick, it was more finding the "big" square quickly.

Really? You wouldn't know where you are within 1km?!?! That is very lost!!
Post edited at 16:16
 Doug 18 Jan 2015
In reply to MG:

for UK or elsewhere ? many non OS maps don't have a grid, & even if they do, the numbering isn't always clear or is only at the edge so not visible if the map is folded
OP MG 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Doug:

Elsewhere - exactly my point regarding grids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...