UKC

Waxing old goretex mitts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have a pair of old (>20 years) goretex overmitts, on which the seams have largely crumbled. The box-section construction of the gloves means that trying to clean the tapes off and then resealing is going to be a complete @rse.

So I was wondering about just waxing over the whole exterior of the mitts to essentially turn them into a sweaty pair of plastic bags; but before I do, was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions (I could, of course, spend forty quid on a new pair, but I'm saving up for beer).

I have poor circulation in my extremities, so unlikely to sweat much from my hands unless they're very warm. In which case, I won't mind at all.

Martin
 Rapsling 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Pretty sure you can pick up Gortex repair kits at Cotswold Outdoors or somewhere. Is it just the seams or specific holes we're talking about, or general overall crumbliness?
 Dr.S at work 18 Jan 2015
Seam grip along the seams after stripping off any grotty tape. Probably wash and re proof first.
Post edited at 15:24
 Clarence 18 Jan 2015

The wax won't soak into the nylon shell like it would cotton so all you will get is porous gloves that are sweaty and frequently covered in bits of flaky wax. One of my venture scouts tried the same thing with a leaky old mountain cap and it was a disaster.
Rigid Raider 18 Jan 2015

Nothing to lose? Soak them in Nikwax, Waxoyle (same thing) or Thompson's Water Seal. The latter did no harm to my old Sprayway Goretex cycle jacket; in fact it improved it.
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Seam grip along the seams after stripping off any grotty tape.

Interesting. But I refer you to the second sentence. (I also buy a new car when the ashtrays are full and employ a small monkey to replenish the oxygen in my country house)
In reply to Clarence:

Excellent: that's largely answered my question, then. Good stuff, thanks.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I quite like the last one, being as I've something very similar lurking in the shed. I think there's even some tanking solution knocking about.
 Dr.S at work 18 Jan 2015

> Interesting. But I refer you to the second sentence. (I also buy a new car when the ashtrays are full and employ a small monkey to replenish the oxygen in my country house)

oh yes, I could have read that. its piss easy though - just turn the glove inside out, and as you are using a glue type stuff rather than sticking on tape its not tricky. I've an old pair of mitts that I keep limpin on this way.
 Toerag 19 Jan 2015

I've an old pair of Lowe Alpine mountain gloves that have lost their waterproofness - at the weekend I tried Aqueous nikwax on them and it worked well - the areas I'd put it on beaded well and didn't absorb water, whereas the bits I missed did. They weren't completely waterproof, but the were significantly better than they were before. The wax certainly soaked in well enough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...