UKC

Recommend me a holiday destination that has it all (please)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 red.stiletto 18 Jan 2015
Would you be so kind as to suggest some possible holiday destinations for a summer holiday that can please everyone in an extended family i.e. the following:
Cheap (flights and villas, this is high priority)
Easy to get to (flights from north and south UK and no connecting flights/ferries/long drives)
Nice villas
Nice beaches
Some rocks and or mountains to climb
Not too hot (small kids) but reliable sunshine in late aug/early sept
Preferably some sights/pretty villages/places to explore

Current thoughts include Corsica (but looks expensive) and Corfu (but is there anything much to climb?)
Mallorca/costa blanca is lovely but we have been before so would be nice to go somewhere new and less spanish.
So... ideas on a postcard please!!

marky 18 Jan 2015
In reply to red.stiletto:

We have just come back from Sicily which pretty much ticks all those boxes but may be a bit hot in August?
 John Ww 18 Jan 2015

Calpe?
 jon_gill1 18 Jan 2015

Depends on what you call too hot but Southern France has it all!flying into Nice would give you 1.5 hour drives to some great locations!the climbing at chateauvert is absolutely sublime and has grades for everyone! Otherwise Sardinia and cala gonone is fantastic with about 1.5 drive from Olbia and again plenty of climbing at all grades!

I believe that Tenerife isn't too hot and has about a 30 minute drive to many locations but would leave you driving around to different crags.if you want any more detailed info feel free to mail me.

Enjoy!
OP red.stiletto 18 Jan 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Calpe!! our last trip was to Fustera perfect, but think we will go somewhere different this time.

Thanks everyone, tenerife has been discussed but is it a long flight? Personally just not mad on the beaches in S France, but Sicily and Sardinia definitely worth a google, thanks!
 jon_gill1 18 Jan 2015

Tenerife I think was around 4 hour flight. Look up the Lido appartments in Cala Gonone,Sardinia.they are self catering and less than a minutes walk to the beach! 50 crags less than 1 hour of cala itself.will probably be very touristy at that time of year but is a very nice spot,with great snorkelling,a fun gorge walk that brings you out on the stunning beach of cala fuelli (pebble beach) with fun climbing on.involves abseils as well as walking in the gorge,but a cracking day out!
 John Cooke 18 Jan 2015
In reply to jon_gill1:

+1 for Tenerife based on your req's. See previous posts. Plenty of info.
dinkypen 19 Jan 2015

The central French Pyrenees! They tick all your boxes. Cheap flights into Toulouse then just an hour in the car to the foothills. Great weather in the summer (not as hot as the SE of France). Plenty of mountains and rocks to climb. Loads of interesting stuff to see and visit. Fab wine and food. Loads of accessible activities for the extended family. How old are the kids? If they are very young (under 5) they may enjoy a donkey trek? If a bit older (5+) maybe exploring some underground caves? Or canyoning or rafting? I've got contacts for numerous activities and the accommodation is great value down here too......
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jan 2015

> Would you be so kind as to suggest some possible holiday destinations for a summer holiday that can please everyone in an extended family i.e. the following:

> Cheap (flights and villas, this is high priority)

I suspect you will fall at the 1st hurdle unless you can travel in May/June,

Chris
 balmybaldwin 19 Jan 2015

Sardinia can be done pretty cheaply early september?
 climberchristy 19 Jan 2015

San Vito Lo Capo in Sicily - will be hot but hard to beat for sport climbing and beach combo. Fly to Trapani and then it is only about 50 mins drive to san vito area.
 earlsdonwhu 19 Jan 2015
In reply to climberchristy:

I believe San Vito is very hot, expensive and heaving in the summer. Very nice in Octoberish though!
 Rob Parsons 19 Jan 2015

My suggestion is the north coast of Spain.

Between Cantabria, Asturias, and the Picos de Europa, you have got the lot - well, apart from your requirement of 'somewhere ... less spanish'!
 Andy Say 19 Jan 2015

Skegness!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jan 2015
In reply to climberchristy:

> San Vito Lo Capo in Sicily - will be hot but hard to beat for sport climbing and beach combo. Fly to Trapani and then it is only about 50 mins drive to san vito area.

The 'beach' is bit lacking too - I recall mostly jagged black rocks?

Chris
dinkypen 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

No problem getting cheap flights into Toulouse end Aug/early September - £60 return with Easyjet from LGW. No problem getting a good sized property here for a very reasonable price. The Pyrenees isn't the Alps and won't break the bank
 seankenny 20 Jan 2015

Font has everything you ask except beaches, but it's got a forest and swimming pools and kids seem to like it. Lots of pretty villages and good gites, and a few little rocks for climbing on.

Brittany might work too, tho I've not been there.
 nutme 20 Jan 2015
Cheap, nice and easy. It can't be like that. You really need to pick just two of three

South France will be expensive. Very. Italy is expensive as well. Cheaper than France tho..

Crimea would meet all criteria except flights. You would have to fly via Moscow and likely it would take 10 hours one way.

Tenerife is a good destination. But not very cheap and Spanish.

Crete meets everything except weather. In will be hot.. However hot is personal. For me +25C to be hot, but you find Mallorca ok, so maybe it will work for you.
 nniff 20 Jan 2015

Dordogne/Bergerac/Cognac - rivers/lakes/pools rather than the sea - not as hot, plus there is usually shade for the kids. Lots for everyone, scores of houses to rent. Crags (hot for that though, but le ceou is good, or Les Eaux Claires). There are also ecole d'escalade grid-bolted crags for kids. Canoes, bikes, wine, castles, markets. If you're closer to Cognac your're within range of the sea at Saintes if you want to fry.

This year, half of our contingent are flying, the rest driving with the luggage. Just N of Bergerac this year.
 scott titt 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Chris, just google "san vito beach -images" and you will see why it is a top seaside resort

To the OP
San Vito will be very hot, 32ºC, completely full, and apartments very expensive (but there will be no queues for the routes!)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Jan 2015
In reply to scott titt:

> Chris, just google "san vito beach -images" and you will see why it is a top seaside resort

Yes, I had forgotten about the 'town' beaches and was just thinking of the campsite,

Chris
 grommet 20 Jan 2015
Not beaches in the at the seaside sense, but lake Garda and lake annecy could be worth a look.
dinkypen 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

> Cheap, nice and easy. It can't be like that. You really need to pick just two of three
> South France will be expensive. Very. Italy is expensive as well. Cheaper than France tho..

You need to check out the other South of France! The south west and the Pyrenees in particular is nothing like the south east which you are referring to! Cheap flights, short drive, reasonable summer temps, masses and masses to do....you should visit some time and see what you're missing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...