UKC

Replacing BD Viper picks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Caspar 18 Jan 2015
I'm trying to replace the picks on my BD Vipers, but the bolts seem impossible to undo. Has anyone else had this problem? Other than the obvious addition of WD40, anyone got any ideas on getting them undone?
 gethin_allen 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:

Pb blaster and proper tools, something that fits well so you can confidently use some force. If you're concerned about hurting yourself if you slip wrap the tool in a towel.
 Mr Fuller 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:

I think it's a fairly well known problem. BD clearly saved money with the bolts as they are made of shoddy metal that rounds really easily. As suggested above, use a proper tool for starters rather than the piece of rubbish that BD give you. I found a big bit of flat metal bar that fitted perfectly in the slot of the bolt and use that to twist them Sticking the tool in a vice helps as well.
 Rick Graham 18 Jan 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

+1 use the proper tools and be grateful you are not doing it outside in a blizzard.

Had to change some on Friday night.

Remembered an old trick of resting the head and socket / ratchet on the carpet and pushing down. Less chance of the socket twisting off. Best to get to a proper workshop and vice.

I also tried to find out the recommended torque for tightening but came up with nothing on the BD website.

Having said that I think the head design has been around since the mid 80's , so is well proven and apart from overtightening the bolt, problem free. How many other designs have lasted so long ?
 GarethSL 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:

I once used the supplied tool and a hammer... Wrecks the tool but they eventually come undone. Now I use a socket wrench from the car
 George Fisher 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:

Worth trying to put the tool/spanner in a vice and turn the Viper around it. Old trick from being a bike mechanic with stuck BB's, put the tool in the vice and turn the frame (massive lever). Little bit of heat n the bolt from a blow torch?
 Rick Graham 18 Jan 2015
In reply to George Fisher:

Or clamp the spanner and head on a vice so the spanner cannot skew on the bolt head. Hold the shaft end and tap the spanner with a hammer.
OP Caspar 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

I don't have the BD tool. I've just been using various wrenches, but stopped when they started rounding it off, so I'll try the vice approach when I can find one, thanks!
 Rick Graham 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:
I would recommend buying a proper socket to fit. Only a few quid and saves a lot of bother, especially if it comes to drilling out the thread, not a job to ham up and end up binning the axe!

I luckily had a hexagonal 14mm? which fits perfectly. Not the usual star shape which only bears on the corners of the hex bolt head.
Post edited at 17:35
 wilkie14c 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

An impact driver would be a help too. A hand held one where you strike it with a hammer. imparts a downward force at the same time as a twisting force so socket wont jump off and chew the head. Got me out the shit dozens of times, usually the brake drum retaining screws need the old impact treatment!
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS
 aldo56 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:

I never really had any problems with the right sized spanner. Have you tried that?

If it's solid, you can always put a hollow bar over the spanner or use another spanner to extend the lever.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...