UKC

cadair idris current conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Legs 18 Jan 2015

I am planning on heading to Cadair Idris this weekend but am concerned about conditions at the moment. I read on various weather forums there is a light dusting of snow. Is it sever enough to warrant crampons and an ice axe? Or is it not cold enough to sustain this through the week?

I was hoping to do the Diff arĂȘte just below, however, if this is in full winter conditions then I will have to give it a miss.

I would appreciate any advice from locals living in the area and who have been up it.

Also is there any where in the area to hire crampons and ice axes? We have used them before a few times but have not yet purchased them. If they were necessary we would use them up the usual route.

Thanks
Legs
Post edited at 19:43
 Billhook 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Legs:

Its extremely unlikely you'llneed crampons and/or ice axe.
In reply to Legs:

You may well find a bit of ice up there as temps in Dolgellau have been hovering just above freezing. If its just cold (and probably wet) Cyfry Arete (assume that's the Diff arete you mean) can be quite uncomfortable. The holds are all quite positive though so it is possible in the rain!

Have fun!

Sam
OP Legs 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Legs:

Thanks for the advice
 Ramblin dave 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Legs:

Hang on, are you talking this weekend as in 24th / 25th? In which case it might be worth asking again about Thursday... current forecasts are pretty parky with a bit of snow, but five days is a long time in Welsh weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...