UKC

Flashing blue arrows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbwhenready 19 Jan 2015
What's up with these arrows that start flashing insistently when you get to the bottom of a thread? Are they intentional? It happens on two computers so it's not just one machine being weird, both running Safari.....
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jan 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

> What's up with these arrows that start flashing insistently when you get to the bottom of a thread? Are they intentional? It happens on two computers so it's not just one machine being weird, both running Safari.....

Isn't it really obvious what they are for?

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Isn't it really obvious what they are for?

Yeah, OK, let me rephrase that.

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY FLASHING IT'S REALLY ANNOYING

Ahem.
 Bob 19 Jan 2015

It wasn't until I clicked on one, actually it still wasn't obvious then - bad UI design.

Flashing navigation items are a stupid idea.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Bob:

> It wasn't until I clicked on one, actually it still wasn't obvious then - bad UI design.

> Flashing navigation items are a stupid idea.

Do they actually flash?

On my Mac they appear when I scroll, and fade when I stop.

Chris

> Do they actually flash?

> On my Mac they appear when I scroll, and fade when I stop.

> Chris

Same on PC Windows 7 & Chrome
 john arran 19 Jan 2015
Thankfully they don't seem to appear at all on real computers.

Just spotted the 'like' counts though - wondered how long it would take for them to be made public.

edit: just spotted them after all, though not sure what they add seeing as there are buttons at the top and bottom of the page already that seem to do the same thing. A dash of colour?
Post edited at 19:32
 Neil Williams 19 Jan 2015
In reply to john arran:

I see the point of the buttons, the flashing grates though.

Like the like count. How about a dislike count?

Neil
 alastairbegley 19 Jan 2015

> Do they actually flash?

On my mac with safari they flash when at the bottom of the page.
 Oujmik 19 Jan 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

I have a mac and safari and they aren't flashing for me...

I like them, they don't flash and are useful.
 goose299 19 Jan 2015
Have win 8 and Chrome and they don't flash for me. they appear to only disappear when you're at the top/bottom of each thread
Post edited at 20:42
 wilkie14c 19 Jan 2015

They are great on the phone, right where your left thumb is to wizz up and down the page
 PPP 19 Jan 2015

Why not to have them always in the left bottom corner? There's lots of space there and it would be easier than to scroll up/down to start seeing them.

On the other hand, I use Home/End buttons anyway.
 wilkie14c 19 Jan 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Yea same here, no sure if annoying or useful yet though (flashing that is)
 Timmd 19 Jan 2015
In reply to PPP:
> Why not to have them always in the left bottom corner? There's lots of space there and it would be easier than to scroll up/down to start seeing them.

That's what I was thinking.
Post edited at 21:48
 foxwood 19 Jan 2015

I thought as well "Isn't it really obvious what they are for?" until clicked on.

Expected to go up/down one page - would have thought it should be double arrows for start/end of scrolling/playing any medium with single arrows for small steps - as in media players etc.

Bit of a pendant point :/
 Bob 20 Jan 2015

On Chrome on Mac they flash during scroll, no flashing when using Firefox on Linux.

Would be slightly more useful if there were associated tooltips ...

There's a definite bug on Firefox on Linux: when you get to the bottom of the thread *both* buttons disappear whereas at the top of a thread only the up button disappears.

They flash in Safari / OS X 10.9
 yorkshireman 20 Jan 2015

Noticed it last night on my Mac running Chrome. I could live with the arrows (although as others have said, they're not great UI - you should really leave page nav to the device these days IMHO), but a load of the advertising and text from the top right kept appearing over the content of the forum making it unreadable. Extremely annoying.

Works fine on my Windows machine, and with Opera on the Mac (I hate Safari, didn't try it).
In reply to Bob:

I'll try and fix the flashing bug but it might be tricky without having a Mac. It doesn't flash for me.

Both buttons should disappear at the bottom as it's right next to the Up arrow so I thought it wasn't necessary to show 2 Up arrows next to each other.
In reply to john arran:

They help jump to the top/bottom on mobiles when you're half way through a long thread, I think I might disable them for desktops if they're causing problems tbh.

Are these 2 computers both running the same OS and Browser by any chance?

They didn't flash on anything I used when testing but I didn't try Mac Safari only Windows.

I've turned them off on anything other than the smallest screen width now.
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> Are these 2 computers both running the same OS and Browser by any chance?

It happens on Safari (same browser) on OS 10.9 and 10.10. I'm not sure whether Apple have pushed the same version of Safari onto both of them. It also happens with Chrome (version, um, 39.0.2171.99) on OS 10.9. Firefox is fine.
 john arran 20 Jan 2015

I think the UI issue is that you now have 2 different ways to achieve almost the same thing, both looking vaguely similar but not the same, and one or other of which sometimes isn't visible. Better to stick with one or the other in general if possible.
 alastairbegley 20 Jan 2015

> They help jump to the top/bottom on mobiles when you're half way through a long thread, I think I might disable them for desktops if they're causing problems tbh.

Personally I think this would be a good option, on my phone they are really good (apart from the flashing) but I don't see the point on the desktop.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Jan 2015

> I've turned them off on anything other than the smallest screen width now.

That's a pity, I had already got used to them

Chris
 Jonathan Emett 20 Jan 2015

Still flashing on firefox on android. And sometimes only one is visible when two would seem needed.
 yorkshireman 21 Jan 2015

OK the overlaid advertising and other stuff I was talking about before is showing on the main forum list too. Here's a screen grab to help you diagnose, because quite frankly it makes the site unusable.

http://grab.by/E0oA

It happens on a Macbook Pro running Yosemite 10.10 with Google Chrome Version 40.0.2214.85 beta (64-bit)
In reply to yorkshireman:

Try pressing Command+0. The problem seems to arise at odd page zoom settings.
 yorkshireman 22 Jan 2015

Thanks, that seems to resolve it, although I would argue that +1 zoom setting is 'odd'. It shouldn't really happen - the zoom level was such that I didn't even notice it wasn't on default. Anyway, if I was UAT'ing this at work it would be down from a Major to a Minor/Trivial so I can live with it
In reply to yorkshireman:

Chrome defaults to 100%, 110%, 125% 150% when you use +1 zoom now. There was a problem at 125% but I fixed that.

I think the in previous versions of Chrome there may have been some other zoom levels, and they are causing the trouble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...