UKC

DAB vs MP4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 20 Jan 2015
I was listening to BBC Radio 6 in the car yesterday, and (unusually) a track came on that I commonly hear, as its on my iPhone playlist, via Bluetooth on the same car stereo system.
The radio version was mind blowing in its quality, so much better, clearer and with better stereo separation.

On my iPhone the track was purchased from iTunes.

So what's the difference?
 FactorXXX 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Haven't got iTunes, but are the downloaded files compressed?
 Clarence 20 Jan 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

They are both compressed but IIRC DAB is 128kbps and iTunes store is typically 256kbps so iTunes downloads should sound significantly better!
 MikeSP 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:
There are a few thing it could be:

Bluetooth, older (V1 and V2) bluetooth were notorious for loosing music quality. Try a cable (USB or AUX) and it could improve things.

Settings on the iphone/car stereo. Manufactures normally add a few setting to 'improve' the sound quality. If you have them on on both the phone and stereo it will sound horrible. My advise would be turn off all of these setting (including equalisers) on both devices, you can then turn them on and listen for differences, if you can't hear a difference leave it off. That way you will hear it as close to how the artist/producer intended.

Edited for spelling
Post edited at 10:42
Removed User 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Well that's wierd cos DAB is utter bollocks in terms of quality and a huge technological retrograde step for audio. Even more so than MP3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...