UKC

Lake Garda / Arco Sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sprucedgoose 20 Jan 2015
Hello,

Off to Lake Garda this Easter. Mainly walking but would like to throw in the odd day of sport climbing. Will have car and prepared to travel and walk in to avoid polish. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for good crags in the 5 to 6c range?

Ta
 Shapeshifter 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Sprucedgoose:

Arco is the area to go. Massone seems a popular crag in those grades, but I found it a bit polished and preferred Nebo which was less busy and had a generally more laid back feel to it. Details on UKC in the crag database, but if you can get a look at the English version of the Arco guide there's loads of other smaller crags as well.
 icnoble 20 Jan 2015
In reply to chubbs2:

A bit polished is an understatement. Nago is a good crag. Also there are less polished if you travel north.
 kenr 20 Jan 2015
In reply to icnoble:
When i was there like three years ago, the road into Nago seemed rather narrow.
Did I miss the right way?

Thanks,

Ken

AlanLittle 21 Jan 2015

> avoid polish

In reply to chubbs2:

> Massone

Excellent! Funniest thing I've read on here in weeks.

Anything close to Arco will be a seething anthill at Easter. Regina del Lago is good in the grades you're interested in, a little bit out of town and a more than five minute walk, so maybe not quite so busy. And not polished. La Piazzole is a newly bolted crag with lots of good stuff in the 6's, again a bit of a walk and not in the guidebook yet. Should be easy to google for approach/topos. And a bit further out still, I was at Noriglio recently which is the other side of Rovereto. Was quite nice.

In general I would look at anything in the guidebook that is more than about fifteen minutes drive from Arco and more than about fifteen minutes approach walk.

Erstwhile of this parish is normally a good source for insider tips up Trento way.
OP Sprucedgoose 21 Jan 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thank You All. Great advice Alan - just the kind of insight I need.

When I finally get my eco-friendly, friction reinstatement machine off the drawing board I'll take it to Arco and clean up.

More suggestions from other contributors gratefully received (about locations, not imaginary machines!).

tjekel 22 Jan 2015

Change your travel dates or your location. Half of Germany is there at easter.
 Toerag 23 Jan 2015

The slabs above the 'coast road' between torbole and malcesine were enjoyable if you like slabs. The crags just outside torbole weren't spectacular, but they weren't toooo polished either.
Ste Brom 23 Jan 2015
In reply to tjekel:

> Change your travel dates or your location. Half of Germany is there at easter.

Im confused. I thought it was the Polish he wanted to avoid.
 tjekel 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Ste Brom:

true. But there's the sad historical fact that there may be a lot of Polish where Germans go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...