UKC

howgills snow cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the optimist 21 Jan 2015
anyone been out over the Howgills this week ?
thinking of coming up Friday for a bit of ski touring - yad moss has decent cover apparently - so would assume the Howgills have caught some of the snow as well?
but any up to date info would be helpful for decision making
thanks
phill
 Escher 21 Jan 2015
In reply to the optimist:

I haven't been over there this week but they looked plastered when I looked that way from near Milnthorpe. A lot of snow down to quite a low level, same over in Yorkshire.
 Baron Weasel 21 Jan 2015

Driven past the Howgills this morning and they are white and will probably be quite good for ski touring
 Simon Caldwell 21 Jan 2015

worth making an early start - it's due to thaw in the valleys on Friday afternoon
 Jon Wickham 21 Jan 2015

Driving past on the M6 this morning the Western side looked like quite scoured, but it has been dumped on South Eastern aspects. Not sure about round the other side though.
Clauso 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> worth making an early start - it's due to thaw in the valleys on Friday afternoon

Here's hoping that it does thaw a bit. I drove past them, heading south last weekend, and they were plastered. It's snowed a fair bit more since then.

The Dark Mountains mountain marathon is taking place there, overnight this coming Saturday, and I've stupidly entered the damn thing. I could really do without having to try to wade through drifts.
 Simon4 21 Jan 2015
To judge by Lakeland conditions, there will probably be near complete cover, but no base at all, with fluffy powder going right down to the grass/ice.

You might manage to do some touring, but it will be at the risk of wrecking your skis and/or yourself.
Post edited at 12:29
In reply to Clauso:

We're doing the Dark Mountains as well. I predict lots of sheet ice...

the optimist 21 Jan 2015

thanks for all the replies/info

might head out on old skis

The latest forecast is for less of a thaw on Friday afternoon - it may mostly fall as snow at all levels.

I'd go for it - the Howgills are so grassy you don't need a huge amount of snow to make them ski-able.
Clauso 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I've just seen the latest email from Shane. He mentions that the snow cover is knee deep, in places; it looks as though they're going to recommend running crampons and lightweight axes. Deep joy...

I reckon that we might just turn up, register, run around the corner from the event centre, stick the tent up, and spend the night in our sleeping bags with a couple of hipflasks.
In reply to Clauso:

If you dib a control on the way then you'd still do better than we did last year, when we were so late back we lost all our points.

Bee_1 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Clauso:

I'm part of the Marshall team for dark mountains, I'm looking forward to being inside a nice warm room all night, unless of course someone retires somewhere awkward/injures themselves , in which case I'll have to go and fetch them. ...
 Matt_b 22 Jan 2015

Skinned up Yarlside this morning. Got a good look at the whole of the Howgills. If we have another dump it could be good. But currently, I wouldn't really recommend it.

Having been in the Raise area in the Lakes on Sunday, I'd say go there.
 thedatastream 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Matt_b:

I'm heading up for the Dark Mountains event also, any up to date conditions reports are welcomed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...