UKC

Training finger strength from your desk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 21 Jan 2015
As the topic says - wondering what are some good ways to train finger strength from my desk - with recommendations. Just when I have an odd moment and want to do something actually productive (rather than say, working more). Note there is nowhere to hang anything or put anything.

Some kind of handheld thingy?
 AlanLittle 21 Jan 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Can't see any way you're going to get enough load to have a useful training effect. Rehab for injured pulleys, warm up before going from the office to the wall, light movement for recovery after a training session ... maybe.
 MischaHY 21 Jan 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Nothing handheld is going to make any kind of realistic gain for a climber, unless you're rehabilitating an injury or similar. Making more time for training is the only way.
OP SenzuBean 21 Jan 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:
> Can't see any way you're going to get enough load to have a useful training effect. Rehab for injured pulleys, warm up before going from the office to the wall, light movement for recovery after a training session ... maybe.

Well I know there are things out there that can train grip strength to insane levels: http://www.captainsofcrushgrippers.com/ (one of my good friends is a powerlifter, and these are solid kit for powerlifters who don't use wraps) - so I'm sure it can be done. Just wondering if there's anything like this but more focused on fingers.

Also I tend to be at the wall 1-2 times a week, and head out most weekends - so am close to maxing out the training options outside of work hours.
Post edited at 16:23
 cb_6 21 Jan 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Just a note on handheld 'thingys' - grippers are a great way to train crushing strength when you invest in good quality, heavy duty grippers (such as Captains Of Crush). However, firstly a decent gripper workout is something you should approach with the same seriousness as a hangboard workout (or any other type of training), not while sitting at your desk at work. You wouldn't stick a barbell with double your bodyweight in the corner of your office a knock out a deadlift every half hour in between sending emails. Secondly, crushing strength (that is, closing the hand tight into a fist) isn't something rock climbers really use, and therefore not something they would benefit from training extensively.

There's a reason heavy grippers aren't a popular form of grip training among climbers, despite being popular among those with an interest in general grip training. They simply aren't sport specific. They're quite satisfying to train with though!
OP SenzuBean 21 Jan 2015
In reply to cb_6:

> You wouldn't stick a barbell with double your bodyweight in the corner of your office a knock out a deadlift every half hour in between sending emails.

I totally would!

OP SenzuBean 21 Jan 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

> What about any of these:

Thanks for that - just wondering if anyone can recommend one though - or if they're pretty much just plonker toys.
 kenr 22 Jan 2015
In reply to cb_6:
> Just a note on handheld 'thingys' . . .
> They simply aren't sport specific.

Agree that the Captains of Crunch grippers are not specific for climbing.

But the Gripmaster ones can be used in ways that are more specific -- I've trained both Crimp and Open grip configurations with them.

Of course surely not as good as using your fingers together with your whole body to train gripping.

Ken

In reply to SenzuBean:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GQP0PS/ref=ms_sbrspot_1?pf_rd_p=4778...

More of a forearms training tool but they do work grip as well.
I have one of these and they are pretty good.

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...