UKC

Building a couple of routes onto a school gymnasium wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 21 Jan 2015
Hi folks,
my friend has been given the task to look into all apsects of having a couple of routes built onto her school gymnasium wall.
Does anyone have any idea where she might start?
I have no idea even from googling and I'm assuming someone on here must have done it or is in the know.
Thanks, Den
 goose299 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

Brick, wood. Probably need a bit more info

Is he wanting to DIY or to get a pro in to do it. Surely if it's for a school, it should be a pro doing it in terms of health and safety?

OP Denni 21 Jan 2015
In reply to goose299:

Hi mate,
thanks for the reply. It is a brick building and they would want to go down the pro route.
Just where to start with H and S etc etc.
 goose299 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:
I would assume a pro would be able to go through all the health and safety.
No recommendations from a wall builder from me but I'm sure soneone who's had one built for them will be along shortly.

Solsbury 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:
Perhaps ring Beechen Cliff School in Bath, they built a small wall on the outside of the gym a few years ago. I don't have any connection just saw it being out up.
Rich
 earlsdonwhu 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

In my school the wall was erected by attaching the panels onto a steel framework which in turn was secured to the wall itself. The whole thing was done by Enterprises who advised and sorted the structural survey. By having panels you can obviously change the holds/reset routes.

I guess holds could be attached directly to brick but you lack the flexibility to alter things..... Though costs will be much lower.

PS I am retiring soon and so if you are a geography teacher, or possibly a biology teacher, who wants 'their own' small wall to look after, then mail me for details. Midlands !
 eltankos 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:
Perhaps not local to you but I know Glasgow Climbing Centre have installed a number of traverses (holds in brickwork) in school playgrounds and stuff. May be cheaper and less faff (from H&S/ insurance etc.) than roped routes. They might be able to do them too though.
 climbwhenready 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

This may be a useful place to start

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/schools-rock-climbing-traverse-walls-management

I guess the first step is to find companies in your area that do wall installations!
 MischaHY 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

Check out http://www.dreamclimbingwalls.com/ - They seem to do a lot of small custom walls for schools/gyms etc. The one they built at the Pickaquoy centre on Orkney is really rather good considering the scale available.
 stuartholmes 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

Try Climbing wall services. They do everything from design and installation to advice and health and safety side.
 winhill 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

Try http://www.zigzagclimbingwalls.com/ they do a lot of the smaller type walls.
OP Denni 23 Jan 2015
In reply to winhill:

Thanks for all the replies folks and the advice, much appreciated. Will pass the details onto my mate.
 MaxR 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

I used zigzag when installing a wall at my old school. They were really good
 Maestro 23 Jan 2015
In reply to goose299:

> Is he wanting

It's not a he....Tell me that was a typo and not some underlying sexism
 Steve nevers 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Denni:

What area are you in? Know a couple of guys in the Bristol & Bath area that helped build Undercover Rock and Redpoint Birmingham. Could point them in your direction and see if they have any advice?

Are a load of companies that do advise and the actual builds too. Depends on your budget I guess.
 MischaHY 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Maestro:

That shitstirring tho
 Maestro 24 Jan 2015
In reply to MischaHY:

Maybe it is but it really bothers me when people instantly assume that it is going to be a male.

It's really important to abolish these gender stereotypes and maybe if i pick up on it they'll not do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...