UKC

Scottish Winter Climbing ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zarathustra 21 Jan 2015
Hello,

I have no previous experience of winter climbing. However, I am keen to pursue a 5 day introduction course with either Plas y Brenin or Glenmore Lodge.

However, I may not be able to attend until the first week of March. Would this be an okay time to go?

It does depend on my work commitments. I was hoping to go the previous week (last week of February) but this seems unlikely.

Grateful for any info.

Thank you.
drmarten 21 Jan 2015
In reply to zarathustra:

If you are concerned about snow cover then you can relax, there should be plenty snow (in the Scottish Highlands) in March. There are no guarantees, but I'd be extremely surprised if there was no snow then.

Mal Grey 21 Jan 2015
In reply to zarathustra:
Far more likely to have good snow cover at Glenmore Lodge than at Plas y Brenin.

March can be a good time of year for snow in Scotland, though occasionally there's not much. It would be a rare year that there wasn't enough to enjoy a winter skills course though, the folk running the course will know all the likely spots.
Wales is more of a lottery.
Post edited at 22:22
OP zarathustra 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

Thanks for the replies. I should have said that it's with PyB but in Scotland. I was looking at the 5 day intro to winter climbing.

Cheers.
 Mal Grey 21 Jan 2015
In reply to zarathustra:

Ah, makes more sense now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...