UKC

Ben Udlaidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hkstu 22 Jan 2015
Anyone been in recently.
 Milesy 22 Jan 2015
A friend found decent ice on Salamander Gully on Dothaidh at a similar altitude so its maybe worth a punt to have a look?
 Hay 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:

Quartzvein was done a few times yesterday.
hkstu 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:

Thanks
hkstu 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Hay:

Thanks
 DANNYdjb 03 Feb 2015
In reply to hkstu:

Anyone else been in. Coming up at the weekend for a few days.
Any info would be great, and appreciated.
Also is there anywhere to park a motorhome nearby?
Thanks in advance.
Dan.
Graeme G 03 Feb 2015
In reply to DANNYdjb:

> Also is there anywhere to park a motorhome nearby?

Given the limited parking opportunities at the side of the road i wouldn't take a motorhome down the glen. That said it depends on the size of your motorhome.

Jamie B 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

The parking opportunities may be even more limited given the amount of lying snow, and just getting a motorhome down the minor road through the glen might turn out to be a mistake...
 SteveHolmes 03 Feb 2015
In reply to DANNYdjb:

I was there yesterday with friends - http://verticalfever.co.uk/2015/02/02/ben-udlaidh/
 DANNYdjb 03 Feb 2015
Thanks for the reply. 7m long 2.5 m wide..
I don't mind an early start and walk in from somewhere or take mountain bikes and ride in if there is somewhere to lock the bikes up, if that's the only option.
cheers

In reply to Jamie B:

Off road parking not too good in Torridon at the moment either. A slight thaw at lower levels in the next few days should help. Hills up here are blanketed.
 DANNYdjb 03 Feb 2015
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

thanks for the headsup.
Graeme G 03 Feb 2015
In reply to DANNYdjb:

I once spent three hours trapped in the glen because there was so much traffic, nobody could go back or forwards as all the passing spaces were full. It was a logistical nightmare.

Given the conditions i'm going to guess Udlaidh will be busy this weekend. Either go for a very early start and hope you'll get down the glen before everyone else does. Or park as soon as you think you can and bike the rest.
 DANNYdjb 03 Feb 2015

Thank you papa Noel,
do you know if there are any car parks along the glen?
Graeme G 03 Feb 2015
In reply to DANNYdjb:

Long time since i've been there but i can't imagine it's changed. Main thing i remember is if the hill is busy it's a bugger to park nearby, let alone with a motorhome. Maybe check out multimap on OS setting and scan along to check out possibilities.

Good luck.
 nawface 03 Feb 2015
In reply to hkstu:

I was there today and will echo what others have said. Parking was limited, and I counted 6 decent spaces. After that people were starting to fill up passing bays. Snow is down to road level.
 jonnie3430 03 Feb 2015
In reply to hkstu:

Or just continue up the road to NE Coire of Beinn an Dothaidh, where there is a big car park and will be good ice!
 DANNYdjb 04 Feb 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:
Ok will have a look on me mapping sftwr.
Any one been up to Beinn an Dothaidh?
Cheers
 JamesRoddie 04 Feb 2015
In reply to DANNYdjb:

Taxus was good fun today, and the I was the only one climbing in the corrie. Many of the mixed lines look in really good shape too.
 MSchobitz 06 Feb 2015
In reply to hkstu:

Anyone been recently? Looks like it should be in good conditions for the weekend.
In reply to MSchobitz:

I was there yesterday and it was surprisingly warm - very wet and drippy! Lots of ice falling off so take care. We only climbed on the lower tier and did one route in the morning before returning to the car as it got warmer throughout the day. If it's similar conditions this weekend I'd say it might be worth waiting until it's a bit colder.

Some photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152260365362168.1073741840.3749...
 TobyA 06 Feb 2015
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Brilliant pics Natalie. I suppose have a separate camera man on rope helps! Looks a great climb and you can't go wrong with a bit of porcine action either.
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks Toby. It was a great day and very busy with lots of climbers on the upper left tier. The ice cave mid-climb was good fun indeed!
 Michael Gordon 06 Feb 2015
In reply to MSchobitz:

Was good but getting far too warm now
 joe.91 06 Feb 2015
In reply to hkstu:

I've been today, it was melting at the end of the day when in full view of the sun. I think after a freeze it will be fine tomorrow, but get there early to catch it at its best!
In reply to hkstu:

It was freezing down well when I left the crag on Thursday at sunset. The springs above the crag aren't frozen, so whilst there is snow insulating them there'll be more water coming down to fatten things up. There's also a lot of chandelier ice features to the right of Quartzvein, which were falling down a fair bit on Thursday...

NMM
 Busby 08 Feb 2015
In reply to hkstu:

Fair bit of water running down at the back of the ice but for the most part that's a good 6-9 inches back!!!
 chrisprescott 09 Feb 2015
 Michael Gordon 09 Feb 2015
In reply to chrisprescott:

Looks good!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...