UKC

Mountain Equipment or Mountain Hardwear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tube Screamer 22 Jan 2015
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, and would like to begin with a simple question regarding two brands of mountaineering equipment, namely Mountain Equipment and Mountain Hardwear.

I'm actually looking at purchasing a down jacket from one of them, but my question is; How do these brands compare with one another.. is one generally known to be of better quality than the other? Carry more respect? Does one, generally speaking, produce the better down jacket? Are they much of a muchness.. a bit like photographers arguing whether Nikon or Canon produce the better cameras? (the answer to that is Canon by the way, lol)

I'm just basically trying to gain a little knowledge regarding the two brands so that I can make a more informed decision as to which might be the better brand to go with?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Russ
 butteredfrog 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Tube Screamer:

Mountain Equipment is UK based company (made in China), Mountain Hardwear is US based (made in china).
Qualitywise they are similar. The differences are in design and fit. Mountain Equipment design for a British climate, with better zip and pocket design. Waterproofs tend to be waterproof rather than snow proof. Fit wise Mountain Hardwear design for fatties, especially in the larger sizes. I need a large for arm length, but find them too big across the midriff.
Other than that it's down to colour and style. Which do you prefer?

Adam
Both are pretty darned good though by rule-of-thumb, some products from ME will be more suited to UK environs, whilst MHW will be more suited to the US. Fit will also vary on the basis of an average from each respective market.

Both have alpine pedigree, so down products will probably separate on the basis of features that suit you individually.
Post edited at 11:57
 Nath 22 Jan 2015

I own a few garments from both, both excellent from a function point of view, I've found they wear well, wash well and do what you would expect them to do.

Be where that Mountain Hardware do a range that is more pub/poser than for serious use.

Nat

Thank you for taking the time to reply and giving me some advice on the subject. The two jackets I've got my eye on are the Mountain Equipment Annapurna and the Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero.. on paper, it seems that the Absolute Zero would/should be the warmer of the two jackets, but it is also a fair bit more expensive. Whether that actually equates to real world usage, I'm not entirely sure.. at the end of the day, I don't mind spending the extra cash, if it turns out that the Absolute Zero is in fact by far the better of the two?

As for looks and style, I have to say that I really like the looks of both jackets, and so there's no real deal breaker there. I've not yet had the opportunity to view the jackets first hand as yet, but I'm hoping to get over to a dealer to do that soon.

Thanks again for the advice.. if you happen to have any further advice/opinions regarding the two specific jackets mentioned, that would also be very helpful.

Russ
In reply to Nath:

Thanks for that info.. do you mean that the Mountain Hardwear range in general carries more of a pub/poser appeal than as of a serious piece of kit, as that is something that I particularly wanted to avoid?

Russ
 goose299 22 Jan 2015

Mountain Eqwuipment without a doubt. They're both much the same but ME are Uk based
In reply to Nath:

> I own a few garments from both, both excellent from a function point of view, I've found they wear well, wash well and do what you would expect them to do.

> Be where that Mountain Hardware do a range that is more pub/poser than for serious use.

> Nat

pub/poser/Uli Steck
 IPPurewater 22 Jan 2015
In reply to markh554:

Bear in mind Uli Steck's garment may have a bit more stuffing in it that the standard production one !
In reply to IPPurewater:

yeah true. I like ME personally.

but i have the Densa jumper/hoodie and love it

Thanks to you all for the helpful replies.. it certainly looks as though Mountain Equipment is slightly edging ahead in the popularity stakes.

Can I ask if anyone actually owns, or has had any experience with an Annapurna (or even an Absolute Zero for that matter), who could share any opinions on that particular jacket. Or indeed anyone who might have any thoughts regarding either of them, whether they've owned them or not.. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts?

Thank you

Russ
 JayPee630 22 Jan 2015
They both make some excellent products (and some not so excellent ones the same as all manufacturers tbh). Don't worry about 'pedigree' they both are good generally (and who cares anyway?!). The thing that will determine which is best for you is probably the fit and the features more than anything. Can you try them both on?
Post edited at 14:36
In reply to JayPee630:

I am hoping so yes.. there is a retailer called Cotswold Outdoors who appear to stock both the Annapurna and the Absolute Zero (at least, they do on their website), and so I'm hoping to get over there at some point so that I can check them both out first hand, and hopefully come to some sort of conclusion!

rallymania 22 Jan 2015

other than to add... is it down you want? or an insulated very warm jacket? bearing in mind that down really needs to be dry to get the best out of it

i have the older ME lightline jacket from about 10 years ago. it is very toasty but often needs a waterproof shell over it. and then you get sweaty which makes the down less effective.

i also have a couple of synthetic belay jackets (from RAB but that's not the important point) that i use when i'm out during the winter in Scotland where it can be damp as well as bl00dy cold.

to be honest i doubt you'll make a bad buy from either ME or MHW (or RAB / NF etc etc) make sure it fits well with what other clothes you'll be wearing and my top tip if you do buy an actual down jacket is also buy a smallish drybag to transport it in your pack. (keep it hung up when at home to minimise the crushing)

tim000 22 Jan 2015

in the latest TOP GEAR special jeremy clarkson was wearing a mountain hardware down jacket . so mountain equipment it is then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...