UKC

Munros around Crianlarich - end of February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 22 Jan 2015
Hi
I am going to walk some munros around Crianlarich at the end of February. Based on previous years, do you know what conditions I can expect in terms of snow? Thank you.
 Dr.S at work 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Plan for snow, amounts are impossible to predict.
 Phil1919 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

They are central, and high, so if Scotland is generally cold enough for snow/ice, they will likely have it. They are proper mountains and you'd need proper kit. They are likely to keep remnants of snow cover if conditions have been cold enough in the recent past but warmed up when you are there. Beyond that, it just depends on the temperatures and precipitation that you get shortly before and when you are there. You either need to commit yourself and take what comes, or leave the decision to a few days before you go.
 Mike-W-99 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Useful webcam in the area - http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/
OP Pietrach 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Thanks for the info. I live 1.5h drive from there an have done munros in winter, but always December and early January. Hence I wasn't sure if the snow is still there end of Feb. But based on what you said I will prepare for snow.
Thank you
 coolhand 22 Jan 2015
The snow can be there until the end of May....
 alan mathieson 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

Hi Ben More always holds snow till late in to spring , Alan M
 Bob Aitken 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Pietrach:

And you should be alert to the possibility of old hard snow or ice on quite steep slopes - for instance the NW slope of Ben More, the E face of Cruach Ardran, the N flank of Beinn a'Chroin can get very glazed. Those Crianlarich Munros can definitely provide an interesting mountaineering challenge in certain conditions ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...