UKC

Route name

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fanggy 22 Jan 2015
in the 80s, we were intending to do Quayfoot buttress as a relaxation, having done Troutdale Pinnacle. There was loads of vegetation to get through, we lost sight of the route then came to a point where it was difficult to go L but on our R we saw a huge steep slab - was this the route? A crack in a corner led up the left side of the slab. It proved difficult to get into and start the crack.Dick failed so I had a go. I got 15 feet up. I looked up, saw no holds (hidden because it was steep?)
Briefly, 40 feet up, the crack ran out, I had one dodgy runner in and realised it was the wrong route.Our route was supposed to be V Diff. After a while, I saw there was a possible traverse point across the slab so I tip toed slowly R to end up in a kind of small cave filled with huge blocks. I put in my first good runner and climbed a few feet and reached a large ledge. Apparently there was another pitch above but that was enough for us!
Does anyone know the name of that route, has there been rock fall since. I havent been able to find a route that goes up a steep crack, bounded on its L by a wall followed higher up by a thin traverse to the R to a blocked filled cave.
It made such an impression that I later wrote a vignette or very short story about it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...