UKC

advice needed for biking trip to the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 23 Jan 2015
Thinking of taking a long-weekend trip to the Alps next summer to tackle some of the famous road-climbs there.
Anyone got any advice on the best place for a base and maybe any specific so-called 'B&B&B's'? (i.e. lodging with good bike hire)

All advice very gratefully received
 Ragingpossum 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Bourg d'Oisans is probably one of the best in my opinion. Situated right beneath Alpe d'Huez, cycling is a large part of the town, so hiring bikes is not a problem.

For nearby climbs there is the Telegraphe, Galibier, Col de la Morte, Glandon and the Lautaret all within a days ride plus countless slightly lesser known others.

Don't think, just book. Enjoy.
OP Kimono 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:
ok, sounds good. Any recommended accommodation there?

ps presume Grenoble is the nearest airport?
Post edited at 11:21
 balmybaldwin 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:
Enty's place?

www.Veloventoux.com
Post edited at 11:34
 AlisonSmiles 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Not far outside Bourg is Venosc which worked well for me as a base, at the bottom of les Deux Alpes. There's a campsite there - le champs de moulins which also rents out chalets etc. It has a nice vibe; if you bring your own bike it feels safe to keep it there and not the hassle it can be in catered accommodation. Lots and lots of Brits doing similar riding - either a plus or a minus point depending on your point of view!

St Jean de Maurienne a good sized town similar to Bourg but not as mentally cycling oriented as there worked for me.

I've also based myself at Barcelonnette, which positions itself as a tourist attraction with 6 cols for road riding. Not necessarily the big names you get in Bourg but still great fun.

All of those places have tourist accommodation in mahoosive supply. I can't comment on most of it because I slept in the campervan, but location wise I reckon any of those places will see you having a great holiday!
UrbanRocker 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I have used these guys several times

http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/

Very friendly, great food. Superb cake

Paul
OP Kimono 23 Jan 2015
In reply to UrbanRocker:

> I have used these guys several times

> Very friendly, great food. Superb cake

maybe....but that has to be the worst website i have seen in 20 years!

> Paul

The New NickB 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> maybe....but that has to be the worst website i have seen in 20 years!

It ain't great, but come on you're not trying hard enough if you haven't seen worse than that recently.
OP Kimono 23 Jan 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

examples please!
 sleavesley 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

http://www.lingscars.com

By far the worst.
OP Kimono 24 Jan 2015
In reply to sleavesley:
jeez....that's an assault on the eyeballs
Post edited at 01:16
aligibb 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I think its also worth looking at the northern Alps for a road biking trip. Theres a lot more road variation, and alternative options to massive climbs for a "rest" day or bad weather day. not that I'm biased or anything but Morzine makes a great roadie base, Col de Joux Plane, Joux verte, Ramaz, Colombiere, Encrenaz, Trechauffee, Corbier, Bassachaux all a day ride, and more slightly further afield. Send me a PM if you'd like more info!
Its so good around here that I started a roadie holidays company, having started cycling here after a ski knee injury.
Ali
OP Kimono 01 Feb 2015
In reply to aligibb:

Sounds nice and def a possibility for the future but have already booked at the VeloJaune in Bourg.

Thanks anyway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...