UKC

Peak conditions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spidermonkey09 23 Jan 2015
Apologies for the cliche thread...

People in the peak- has the snow melted yet? Planning on coming tomorrow and know it's raining today which means it must be a bit warmer- any ideas what's our best bet for dry rock? Thanks!
 Theo Moore 23 Jan 2015
In reply to spidermonkey:

Snow is 99% gone in Sheffield city centre/abbeydale road area, forecast is good, so feeling hopeful.

If stanage burbage etc are no-gos then heading down to Cratcliffe/black rocks could work.
 AlisonSmiles 23 Jan 2015
In reply to spidermonkey09:

New Mills, still snow up top, but lower down it's blooming freezing and dry. The Quarry I can see from my home office has patches of damp and patches of dry rock.
 hang_about 23 Jan 2015

Still 2-3 inches of snow on the Western edges of Sheffield - which means there will be a bit more further out. Cold but dry here at the moment - expected to get wet later.
 Jimbo C 23 Jan 2015

Still plenty of snow about near Sheffield. More will melt when it rains later. Some lines that catch the breeze and are not taking seepage from snow melt might be dry tomorrow. There was less snow in the Southern Peak than the Sheffield area, but I don't know what the situation is now - there may be some webcams you can view.
 Michael Ryan 23 Jan 2015

Saw people climbing elbow ridge in Winnats pass this morning in winter conditions. I was standing in 10 inch of snow with a frozen crust on the rim.

Just looked out of window and snow on slopes of Bamford edge - can't see the rocks as mist/cloud higher.

Rain forecast for tomorrow.

Less snow further west you go.
 imkevinmc 23 Jan 2015

I drove over from New Mills to Chesterfield last night and there was plenty of coverage. When tonight's rain hits it, everything will be wet

I can see Froggatt Edge from my window. Still snow on top and ledges. Went for a walk along Birchens and Gardoms yesterday, lots of snow and very wet. Temperature is very low today so its not going anywhere.
we've got some precipitation due after 2 today, but no idea if it'll be rain or snow
 deacondeacon 23 Jan 2015

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=814604718606775&set=a.178686718...

Not sure if you'll be able to use the link as its on Facebook but if you can that's Stanage now.
In reply to Jimbo C and others:

Hmm, looks like the edges might be a non-starter at the moment then. Maybe Crattcliffe the best bet.
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2015
In reply to spidermonkey

Several places in the south east peak will probably be OK. Latest bouldering info on the other channel show usual suspects for a good place to go after snow further north were in nick earlier in the week.
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks, reckon cratcliffe and Robin hoods then! Fingers crossed for some sun
 Maestro 23 Jan 2015

Walked dog at burbage this evening. Loads and loads of snow still and rock more or less all wet. a lingering fog too to help keep everything moist. Very pleasant though.

Roads are all fine.
 Offwidth 24 Jan 2015

How did it go?
 ashtond6 24 Jan 2015

pretty much all snow gone now
 JayK 24 Jan 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

Was it all dry?
 ashtond6 24 Jan 2015
In reply to JimmyKay:

cratcliffe / RHS was

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...