UKC

Alpkit lanterns. Anyone got one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 23 Jan 2015
As title says. Anyone got any hands on experience with either of their lantern offerings?
Both are pretty cheap £12.50 - £18. Is a fiver more for twice the weight and an extra few lumins worth it?
Glowe 120g, 170 lumins £12.50
Trinity 250g, 190 lumins £18.
 coolhand 23 Jan 2015
I've got the glowe and it's plenty bright enough for solo camp duty all year round. I've still got the headtorch if I need extra light. Trinity not worth the extra weight IMO.

OP CharlieMack 23 Jan 2015
In reply to coolhand:

Cheers. Thought it'd be more than enough. Seems overkill in weight and size, for not much performance increase.
 StuDoig 23 Jan 2015
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've got the Trinity, (we use it in our camper rather than carrying it anywhere). It's been really good, I'd bet that the glowe would be as well. I normally use it dimmed down anyway to preserve battery, so I'd imagine that the glowe would be more than bright enough for most uses.

Cheers,

Stu
In reply to StuDoig:

I picked up both great for the money I tend to use the smaller one for tenting
And the larger one for bothy or car trips. Mine do seem a little tempremental with certain batteries, be careful with the small feet on the Glowe can easily snap
All in all pleased with brightness and handy doubling up as a torch
Cheap compared to some of the BD Lanterns
 Big Steve 23 Jan 2015
In reply to CharlieMack:

I have got a couple of the trinitys, they light up my large family tent a treat. battery life is good too
 rj_townsend 24 Jan 2015
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've got one of the Glowe ones. Good piece of kit with plenty of light for small tent. As a torch it's pretty good too, although somewhat infuriating in the hands of a small child.
 Steve nevers 24 Jan 2015
In reply to CharlieMack:
Would shop around a bit, Recently a lot of Alpkits recent hardwear is rebranded gear and you can often find the same/or similar rebanded gear elsewhere for better prices. Stoves are a great example, Sports Direct do a more stable and titanium stove like the Kraku that's also a rebranded FireMaple, but that's only £7.50, the Kraku is £25 and tbh, to small to be stable,

I like Alpkit BTW, before I get accused of hating British companies! Great company, have bought and rated highly a lot of their gear, just currently they seem to be creeping prices up and selling a fair bit of re-branded shite.
Post edited at 11:56
Alpjay 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

Hi Steve, and everyone else!

Glad there is interest in the Glowe - we chose it as a lightweight solo / backpacking lantern. The Trinity is heavier, but most of us use it for car camping or family trips away - we've had a lot of people buy them in case of blackouts as well!

A proportion of our kit are OEM products re-branded - I don't believe Sports Direct have the Kraku available for £7.50 - if you have a link or a photo from the shop I would share it around, it's a popular stove. We sell the products direct, so from the factory then to you, no middle man or distributor, hence the lower prices.

Along with all the products you buy from us, you get the advice from well trained, experienced staff who have actually been out and used the kit. The full Alpkit warranty and all of the after care, such as free spares, repairs and possibility of a replacement due to a manufacturing fault - I don't believe you get any of that from Sports direct or similar 'budget' shops - even from high street outdoor shops.

Jay
Alpkit
OP CharlieMack 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Alpjay:

Decided to go with the Glowe. So will see how it goes. Bought plenty of Alpkit stuff over the years and i have no doubt it will be just as good as the rest of the great kit i've got.
Still got one of the 0hiro jackets. Still one of the best bits of kit i ever bought!
Still never had to send anything back due to any breakage/malfunction, which i can't say the same for from some other blue ribbon outdoor brands.
 Steve nevers 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Alpjay:

Cheers for the reply Jay, the personal touch is one of the reasons I do rate you guys.

RE the Kraku, its not an identical stove, but is a rebranded Firemaple titanium stove of a very similar design, with a slightly wider 'head'. Not sure if they are still stocking them, but picked up 2 of them back in October. (Online BTW, the stores are a bit crap) Have used a Kraku, personally found it a touch too compact, Build quality is great though.

And I fully agree with you, their costumer care isn't a patch on yours.

Mainly wish you had the small metal pad clips instock!
Alpjay 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

Hey Steve,

We have a few left over Aluminium clips - we save a few spare for mat breakages (on the rare occasion) and if the product designers feel the need to add one to another product...

Drop me a call or e-mail and I can get a couple in the post to you -

Jay
support@alpkit.com
01773 417 007

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...