UKC

east ridge of Nethermost Pike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 23 Jan 2015
Can anyone let me know what the east ridge of Nethermost Pike is like in winter? How does it compare to Striding and Swirral Edges? What are the approach slopes like, especially given that east aspects could be dodgy at the moment with the slab that seems to be prevalent in sheltered areas.

What other good days out would work for me on Sunday, when it's looking windy and wet.

Thanks
Removed User 23 Jan 2015
In reply to iamaclimber:

Hi, I've only done Nethermost east ridge in summer. The winter ascent will obviously differ depending on the snow conditions. There's a lot of neve and ice about in places on the fells at the moment, as well as a lot of powder and unconsolidated snow on top of neve and ice, so it will be unstable in places. Conditions are very variable within a short distance.

In summer, once the gem of Hard Tarn is passed it becomes very steep with a final very narrow horizontal arête, which is short, but as good as anything on Striding Edge with steeper slopes on either side. Not a place to fall off! I can imagine it would be an excellent grade 1 winter route.

Hope this helps.
 beh 23 Jan 2015
In reply to iamaclimber:

Done it a couple times in winter. No idea of current conditions but don't recall it being any harder than Striding or Swirral and certainly just as fun, particularly as you're likely to have it to yourself. Photo looking back from the arête - http://31.170.105.37/gallery/d/2899-2/R0010514.JPG
In reply to iamaclimber:

similar to swirral, but without the steep exit. wasnt particularly impressed the day i did it, but then it wasnt in great winter condition. even on a good day, wouldnt be a patch on striding edge, or sharp edge; but then it wont have a tenth of the traffic they have either, so still worth a day out

cheers
gregor
Removed User 24 Jan 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

In reply to both the replies:-

Just as I thought it would be from my many summer/autumn outings. The approach is far better and the exposure is more than on t'other edges, but the actual edge bit is much shorter, but more exposed. Overall, it's worth doing in summer. Can't speak for winter, as I haven't done it at that time of year. Must remedy that soon. As others have said, you won't see anyone on it.
 deugar 24 Jan 2015
In reply to iamaclimber:

I was up there on Saturday - it's an enjoyable route as a change from the better known ones and because of its seemingly wilder surroundings. It's basically a steep ridge ascent, zig-zagging up soft snow between rock bands, followed by an all-too-short arete which calls for a careful step or too. The build up of snow you refer to on sheltered easterly aspects seemed much less an issue here (assuming you keep well back from the edges having gained the summit crest) than when heading off down onto striding edge in poor visibility. Wouldn't like to say how things will be by Sunday..
In reply to iamaclimber:

It's nice. And quiet. See this recent UKH article: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=6952

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...