UKC

Bike lights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 24 Jan 2015
What sort life expectancy would people be expecting from a quality bike light such as an Exposure Equinox?

Obviously the rechargeable battery is only good for X number of cycles (no pun intended) and I'm also guessing that LED's have a useable life.

Also does anyone remember the big blocky/square EverReady branded cycle lights that came with the EverReady battery's? if so can you hazard a guess at the number of lumens output and rough burn time.
Thanks
KevinD 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Indy:

I vaguely remember LEDs generally having a reasonably long lifespan of 100K hours or so. Obv vary though by manufacturer.
I would be expecting several years but depends on how much you use it. As a daily commute will probably start suffering quicker.

Dont remember the ever readies but I would guess bugger all and bugger all.
I did find an old set of lights of mine a while back at my parents from when I did a paper round as a kid and put a pair of new(ish) d cells in them.
They were beaten by my "low powered" back up light.
 jethro kiernan 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Indy:

I remember those eveready lights half a lumen for about 10 mins if I remember
 wbo 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Indy: I remember the ever ready's and it was only an hour or so till they started dimming. Few hundred lumens I guess - they were horrible to use.

The lifespan for the Cree LEDs will vary a bit on the degree of misuse, but as with the output the big variable is preventing overheating. But with only 3 or 4 and air cooling, 10's of k's of hours. The battery life however, no idea. I have a mgicshine with a remote battery - super unit (especially compared to the ever ready)

In reply to wbo:

I remember those EverReady lights.

I used them riding round the Peak in my youth.

They were so crap I had to ride along the white lines on unlit roads like Long Hill, Rushup Edge, etc so I could see where I was going.
Even then I still sometimes got lost in the gaps!
In reply to Indy:
I remember the EverReady brick things too, I used to use my Dad's one when riding in the dark...ah the nostalgia. They seemed to do the job in the day, but that was before we even imagined what LEDs would bring with their brightness and battery life.

It's almost pointless us giving an estimate of the difference in brightness as they are worlds apart. Any decent LED front light will be far superior now.
Post edited at 16:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...