UKC

Any kitchen fitters about or anyone who has fitted a kitchen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 24 Jan 2015
I am installing a kitchen for the 1st time ( my own property not moonlighting as a kitchen fitter)

How far can you overhang a worktop before needing a support bar?

The kitchen is in a sort of U shape (open plan property) I have a right angled corner unit as the final base unit between the kitchen and living room the original plan was to end the worktops flush etc. However, as the worktops are larger than I need and allowing for less cuts I was thinking about over hanging the final base unit to create sort of a break fast bar/seating area by 200mm on the living room side (back side of the cabinet) as well as potentially over hanging up to 500mm on the short end/side end of the base unit.

Reading on the internet it seem to suggest that approx 300-350mm overhang and I wouldn't need a support bar 500mm or more would need a support bar. Does this sound correct?

Rick Graham 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Alan M:

Not a kitchen fitter but have bought two homes that had kitchens with breakfast bars (both since removed ).

Your dims sound about right. Depending on the worktop width ( you don't appear to want the hassle of extra cuts and finishing ) , you are probably not pushing the worktop strength but make sure the unit holding it up is not toppled over.
We are talking cantilevers and tension on the fixings on the base unit. Units and tops against a wall almost stay put under their own weight. ( Ours did once when I could not be bothered to finish a kitchen for two years, my wife is very patient ).

At the cheaper end of the market, worktops used to be cheaper than units, so you can afford to make mistakes with the tops.
 browndog33 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Alan M:

350mm will be fine.
Mark.
(joinery company owner).
 marsbar 24 Jan 2015
In reply to browndog33:

Slight hijack. Sorry Alan.

Was it you that recommended Coalville Windows? I wanted to say thanks, very very happy with the work and such nice people.
OP Alan M 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Not a kitchen fitter but have bought two homes that had kitchens with breakfast bars (both since removed ).

> Your dims sound about right. Depending on the worktop width ( you don't appear to want the hassle of extra cuts and finishing ) , you are probably not pushing the worktop strength but make sure the unit holding it up is not toppled over.

> We are talking cantilevers and tension on the fixings on the base unit. Units and tops against a wall almost stay put under their own weight. ( Ours did once when I could not be bothered to finish a kitchen for two years, my wife is very patient ).

> At the cheaper end of the market, worktops used to be cheaper than units, so you can afford to make mistakes with the tops.

Thanks just got to decide whether to use the full 500mm overhang (with a support bar) or just go for 300mm and no support bar.

The worktops are approx 50mm thick. I will be getting a professional in to do the actual worktop installation, I am only doing the base and wall units etc. Basically, as I have been installing the units I have decided to change the layout. I didn't realise that the worktops were so big when I purchased them so with the layout change I can now get a breakfast bar with an overhang on two sides of the final corner unit (this wasn't part of the original design).

The unit shouldn't topple as it is attached to the neighbouring unit which is attached to another 6 on that wall. All the units are then attached to the wall via several battens attached at different heights. The room wasn't square so I squared it off using the battens as the works tops are deep enough to cover the extra depth.

teflonpete 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Alan M:

I wouldn't go more than about 350mm without a support on an end. You could go up to about 450 with a support batten along the back, fixed to the wall, if you crop the front corner at 45 degrees by about 200mm. That's for 38mm thick worktops and above, less overhang for 28mm tops. The 50mm top you are using should be fine for the above.
Pete - kitchen fitter.
OP Alan M 24 Jan 2015
In reply to browndog33:

> 350mm will be fine.

> Mark.

> (joinery company owner).

Thanks, what sort of overhang would you advise if I wanted to put a stool under it and sit there?
OP Alan M 24 Jan 2015
In reply to teflonpete:

Thanks, same question to you as I asked browndog33.

If I wanted to put a stool under it and sit there what sort of overhang would you normally recommend?
 teflonpete 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Alan M:

Measure your leg from mid thigh to knee cap while you are sitting and add a little bit. Unless you're particularly tall you'll find that 350mm should be enough.
OP Alan M 24 Jan 2015
In reply to teflonpete:

Cheers, just measured looks like 350mm is enough.
 teflonpete 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Alan M:

You're welcome, hope it all looks good / works well for you when it's finished.
OP Alan M 24 Jan 2015
In reply to teflonpete:
> You're welcome, hope it all looks good / works well for you when it's finished.

Hoping so also, The works tops will be one of those jobs fitted by a professional as a dodgy join could break the whole look of the kitchen.
Post edited at 22:08
 browndog33 25 Jan 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Yes it very probably was, glad to help
Mark.
 Hooo 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Alan M:

I did my own kitchen and put in a breakfast bar with an unsupported overhang of about 600mm. I put in a good thick batten at the wall end to stop it cantilevering up. I regularly stand on the end of it and it hasn't moved yet. The worktops are IKEA solid oak 38mm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...