UKC

What is it about dogs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 24 Jan 2015

They seem to think that their sole purpose in life is to keep humans happy I was at a friend's house today. He has two labradors, one cream and the other black. They both toadied up to me with the cream one rest her chin on my left knee and the black one commandeering the other.

They both looked so blissful and contented.
Post edited at 20:59
 Andy Hardy 24 Jan 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Unless you're out for a jog. They usually try to rip your leg off then.

Still better than cats though.
OP FesteringSore 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Still better than cats though.
Yes, cats MIGHT make friends with you on THEIR terms; dogs seem to give unconditional loyalty

butteredfrog 24 Jan 2015

The polar opposite of cats in fact. Cats presume a human's sole purpose in life is to keep them happy.
OP FesteringSore 24 Jan 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

> The polar opposite of cats in fact. Cats presume a human's sole purpose in life is to keep them happy.

Good point
 Dr.S at work 24 Jan 2015

> The polar opposite of cats in fact. Cats presume a human's sole purpose in life is to keep them happy.

No presumption involved
I woke up this morning to find one of our JR pups had snuggled itself on the bed, between me and the missus, as we slept.
Post edited at 22:55
 MG 24 Jan 2015

There is no presumption about it. That *is* humans' purpose.
 MG 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I'm glad you know how things work too!

> He has two labradors, one cream and the other black. They both toadied up to me with the cream one rest her chin on my left knee and the black one commandeering the other.

> They both looked so blissful and contented.

They were just keeping you distracted whilst the Chocolate one cleaned out the fridge.
 FactorXXX 24 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

I woke up this morning to find one of our JR pups had snuggled itself on the bed, between me and the missus, as we slept.

Photo's please.
(of the pups, not you and Mrs stroppy in bed...).
In reply to FactorXXX:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0UYIkQ2Q11Q/VGAFhEuApzI/AAAAAAAADwM/cxegx8jkpHw/w1160-h774-no/chaps3.jpg

The one on the left is the guilty one.

By the bye, Does 2 yrs old still count as pups? They still are too us.

ETA: Live action! Dyson with death...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUGTQvQzQQI&feature=autoshare
Post edited at 23:45
 FactorXXX 24 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Thought your two existing ones had been 'busy' and produced a litter!
Still nice looking dogs though!!!
 FactorXXX 24 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

ETA: Live action! Dyson with death...

Typical terriers!!!
In reply to FactorXXX:

Thanks.

I work on a daily basis with both creatures and though I love dogs I would say cats GIVE more than dogs.

Dogs are needy. Yes they give you more attention but it's because they need way more acceptance. Interactions with cats just seem more genuine.
 deepsoup 25 Jan 2015
Winston Churchill (I think) famously said he prefers pigs, because dogs look up to you and cats look down on you but a pig regards you as its equal.
 Trangia 25 Jan 2015
> They seem to think that their sole purpose in life is to keep humans happy

You are deluding yourself.

The only reason why dogs, particularly Labs, toady up to you are

a) They see you as a potential source of food/tit bits - best get on the right side of you,

and/or

b) There is a chance, no matter how remote, that as a human being, you might take them out for a walk. A "walk" is likely to include the opportunity to scavenge bit's of discarded sandwiches, bone, crips etc etc.
Post edited at 07:50
 Dr.S at work 25 Jan 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Winston Churchill (I think) famously said he prefers pigs, because dogs look up to you and cats look down on you but a pig regards you as its equal.

And they taste great!
 peppermill 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> And they taste great!

*sigh*

If only I could get away with saying such things about my patients.

;p
 Mark Edwards 25 Jan 2015

That could be a ‘claiming behaviour’ and they are showing you that they think they are higher up the pack order than you are. A dog trainer friend would get annoyed if her one of her dogs did that and she would say that it’s the higher order dogs that initiate contact with the lower order ones, never the other way around.
Personally I’m not so sure it’s that simple but there’s no harm in pushing them away and then calling them to you on your terms just to re-enforce who’s the boss of who.
 TMM 25 Jan 2015

The dog looks at his owner and as a provider of food, security and entertainment and that as a result his owner must be good.

The cat considers that as his owner is providing him with food, security and entertainment he must be god.
 The Lemming 25 Jan 2015

Dogs have learnt how to play nicely with humans, which is why there are all sorts of shapes and sizes of dogs.

Cats on the other hand, do not play nicely with others. So to keep the human population safe domestic cats are all roughly the same size the world over. Would you feel safe with a cat the size of a Labrador when it's claws are out and its looking at you licking its lips?
 jubolo 25 Jan 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> I work on a daily basis with both creatures and though I love dogs I would say cats GIVE more than dogs.

Judging by the amount of no. 2's I'm shovelling out my garden that is definately true. [I don't own any pets]

Dr.S at work 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Troy Tempest:

Long pig?
In reply to Trangia:

> You are deluding yourself.

> The only reason why dogs, particularly Labs, toady up to you are

> a) They see you as a potential source of food/tit bits - best get on the right side of you,

> and/or

> b) There is a chance, no matter how remote, that as a human being, you might take them out for a walk. A "walk" is likely to include the opportunity to scavenge bit's of discarded sandwiches, bone, crips etc etc.

I disagree.

Dogs, see you as the ultimate pack leader, they know their place in the pecking order.
 Flinticus 26 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

Lovely looking dogs, but nicer than what I expected: I think not pure Jack Russell? Looks like some border terrier in there.
 Jim Hamilton 26 Jan 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=8wqNX7_4vAE&

another great vid for those who like dogs.
In reply to MG:

How long before this human/cat relationship ends in divorce (of the mauling type) ? Is that a hug of affection or more "i'm stringing you along until a rainyday?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2925670/Abandoned-lion-cub-best-fri...
 Fraser 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

That's fantastic, thanks for posting!
 MG 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

No question my cats would kill me if service levels drop. Even being a bit late with food is cause for being nibbled.
 Timmd 26 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

> I disagree.

> Dogs, see you as the ultimate pack leader, they know their place in the pecking order.

That depends on how they're trained, I believe.
In reply to Flinticus:

> Lovely looking dogs, but nicer than what I expected: I think not pure Jack Russell? Looks like some border terrier in there.

You're almost right mate, they are Jack Russell (sire) and Fox terrier (dam.)
 fmck 27 Jan 2015

Not sure if any one else has a border terrier but they seem to have a drive to eat shit. I have a 8 month old BT who while changing my 2 year old daughter caught him eating the shit out of the nappy.
My previous BT remembered where I had a crap earlier in the day and on the way back off the hill found him munching it. My mate had to return home with his head out of the van while he sat panting shitty breath in the back.
Best bit is telling people later in the day after they let him lick them on the face. One minute playing with the dog to there a lepor!
 balmybaldwin 27 Jan 2015
In reply to fmck:
> (In reply to FesteringSore)
>
> Not sure if any one else has a border terrier but they seem to have a drive to eat shit. I have a 8 month old BT who while changing my 2 year old daughter caught him eating the shit out of the nappy.
> My previous BT remembered where I had a crap earlier in the day and on the way back off the hill found him munching it. My mate had to return home with his head out of the van while he sat panting shitty breath in the back.
> Best bit is telling people later in the day after they let him lick them on the face. One minute playing with the dog to there a lepor!

http://www.dogpoopdiet.com/why-dogs-eat-poop/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...