UKC

brown cove, why all the fuss?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3leggeddog 24 Jan 2015

I find it very difficult to understand the popularity of brown cove. None of the routes are great, it doesn't really need a guide, you can climb anywhere at grade 2 (with the exception of a couple of boulder problems)

I should be thankful really, just like sainsburys keeps the proles out of booths, brown cove keeps the good crags quiet
Post edited at 21:57
 Mr-Cowdrey 24 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

It's a reliable crag and a good crag for beginners to grit their teeth on. Like you said, it doesn't really need a guide, meaning that the climbs are easily distiguished and it has routes for a steady progression up the grades. Nice walk in and out too.
OP 3leggeddog 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

You are confusing short with nice
 Mr-Cowdrey 24 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Haha well i enjoyed it
 Wesley Orvis 24 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:
Half hour from
My house and half hour walk in if soloing. Comes into condition quick and routes within my range. Also good access to other climbing areas when done or if it's too busy which I have to say I have not found it so until this year.
 Wesley Orvis 24 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:
I blame the bmc winter protection video they filmed there on protecting the crag as usual with these things had the opposite effect. Kind of like how computers were supposed to stop the need for paper and instead increased it by .......
Plus Wales hasn't had it good this year so we're getting people who would usually be heading there and are used to the shorter walk ins so pick similar.
Post edited at 22:58
 Exile 25 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

It does appear to be the new Great End
 Rick Graham 25 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> I find it very difficult to understand the popularity of brown cove. None of the routes are great, it doesn't really need a guide, you can climb anywhere at grade 2 (with the exception of a couple of boulder problems)

> I should be thankful really, just like sainsburys keeps the proles out of booths, brown cove keeps the good crags quiet

Think you answered your own question.

I used to do a different line up it each time as a break in the approach to Helvellyn. Quite surprised like you when it made the guide. Peter went up for the first time the other night, missed the crag in the dark, mistaking a gully for the approach slope.

A rockfax mini guide in the pipeline? The ultimate insult?
 Exile 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> A rockfax mini guide in the pipeline? The ultimate insult?

Harsh, but quite amusing!

In reply to OP. It's just people traveling to the Lakes, wanting routes of that grade, knowing its in and choosing crowds and known conditions over solitude and a bit more of a punt.

In reply to Exile:

Long may it continue!

NMM
 goose299 25 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Like everyone's said, easy to come into nick, quick ish approach and plenty if easy routes
 Rob Parsons 25 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> ... brown cove keeps the good crags quiet

Which are the good Winter crags in the Lakes? (I've never really investigated the Winter climbing there.)
 stuart58 25 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog: what a stupid thread the cove is a great place for learning winter climbing. Just because u climb at grade 7 !!! Doesn't mean that everyone has to climb at that grade. If it was a summer crab it would be brilliant . I be climbed there to day not been fit for a while and not been out this winter I enjoyed my lowly grade one climb it was a great day out. Where have you been today ?

Rick Graham 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Exile:

A rockfax mini guide in the pipeline? The ultimate insult?

> Harsh, but quite amusing!

Yeah. I was quite proud of that quip this morning, multi layered and having a go at everybody

Lets see how long before the Mods get upset or prove they have a sense of humour.
 LakesWinter 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Exile:

> It does appear to be the new Great End

It's like the new Great End but not as good.
 mike123 25 Jan 2015
In reply to stuart58:
day with the kids ? or perhaps a couple of sense of humour tabs needed.
 Rick Graham 25 Jan 2015
In reply to stuart58:

> Where have you been today ?

Kendal Wall. Busy (acceptably ) and good craic.

Good you had a good day also.
In reply to 3leggeddog:
I shop at Sainsburys and my nearest Booths is 150 miles away so does that make me a prole? If so are proles better than plebs and are you by any chance the ex-Government chief Whip? If so (2) I will sell your story to the most seedy tabloid I can think of - The Metro!
Post edited at 20:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...