UKC

Rowing machines - are there any good inexpensive ones?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 25 Jan 2015
Im thinking of having a rower out in the shed, ive seen a few in argos etc but the reviews for the hydraulic and elastic ones are pretty poor, but I cant afford a fancy one like youd get in a gym (concept 2 etc)
Anyone have any recommendations?
 Oceanrower 25 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

A second hand Concept 2 will still be infinitely better that a new cheapie.

I know, I've spent far too long on one!
cb294 25 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

No real experience with rowers, only other fitness equipment. I absolutely second the idea of buying a used high end machine.

CB
 streapadair 25 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

Have a look on the bay for a mint domestically-used C2, they come up quite regularly as people go off what had seemed a good idea. You can compare the various models/monitors on the C2 website - a D model with the PM3 monitor would give all the functionality you need. The C2 online logbook is a great motivator as you try to push your way up the world/GB rankings.
andymac 25 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

I've got a York Air rower

Fairly basic digital display giving time ,distance ,cals and a few others.

It's fairly noisy .and a good workout.

I've done about a mile in 5 years.

Am determined I am going to do a bit more on it .but I shall have to source some suitable mind enhancing chemicals first .and someone who sells them.
 Cú Chullain 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

> A second hand Concept 2 will still be infinitely better that a new cheapie.

> I know, I've spent far too long on one!

Pretty much this, a well looked after second hand Concept 2 will still be better then most of the competition.

I also know, as I have spent waaaaay too long on one as well.
 RomTheBear 26 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

I tried several cheap ones, and they are a waste of money, ended up selling them on ebay. Basically the big problem is the lack of resistance, which makes it pretty useless pretty quickly.
OP The Potato 26 Jan 2015
In reply to andymac:

well if you dont want it any more....
In reply to ow arm:

sound advice all, thanks.
 Toccata 26 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

I have a C2 model C with a PM3. The model C is everything you need although Models D and E offer increased resistance and better handle. PM3 I'd recommend as it allows you to set intervals (time or distance) that the PM2 doesn't. I've tried many rowers over the years and most others just hurt my back.

NB. I paid £450 about 5 years ago and have spent hundreds of hours on it. I now get free gym membership at work so sold it for £450. If you don't use it, you can always get your money back!
 Dax H 26 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

I don't know about prices but my brother tried the York hydraulic rowers when he first started getting fit.
The first one lasted 6 months but as he got fitter it broke and the replacement only lasted 2 months. The final replacement lasted 3 days (Argos have a great return policy).
The rams got that hot they were practically glowing.
In reply to Dax H:

hence why I said the hydraulic ones get poor reviews
 Billhook 26 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

An exercise machine that doesn't go anywhere?? And only makes you good for???? rowing!!!

get a dingy or take up canoeing!
 nufkin 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> An exercise machine that doesn't go anywhere?? And only makes you good for???? rowing!!!

He's maybe not quite in the Steck/House stable, but Andy K documents some fairly intense rowing sessiosn in Cold Wars (I think), and he seemed to do quite well on it
 streapadair 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Close all the gyms, burn all the treadmills and crosstrainers?

The rower can be a seriously brutal workout if you put some effort into it. At least that's my experience.
 Oceanrower 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> An exercise machine that doesn't go anywhere??

Like, for example, a treadmill, a cycling machine, a stepper etc. etc.?

I don't know a single serious athlete (and I used to know a lot) who don't use machines for cross training.

nathan79 27 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

You can hire Concept 2s. Not sure if that's an option for you. Still pretty costly per annum though.

http://indoorsportservices.co.uk/hire/hire_scheme_concept2
 Indy 27 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

Wife uses a WaterRower but looking at the prices they're pretty similar to the Concept 2 rower you're after.
 Dauphin 27 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

You can get hold of concept 2 s for next to nothing on eBay, similarly Nordic cross trainers., bought, never used....

D
OP The Potato 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

hmm your definition of next to nothing is quite different from mine...
 Dauphin 29 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

> hmm your definition of next to nothing is quite different from mine...
Give it a week or two. 200-300 quid for a piece of quality kit that costs thousands new and will last for years is next to nothing. Me, I went with a Nordic Ski trainer - something I'd stared wide eyed at for decades in glossy magazines and never would of been able to afford new. Pre-ignored - used once or twice for less than £100.

D

meffl 30 Jan 2015
In reply to ow arm:

If you can get hold of a copy of Rowing & Regatta, there are usually loads of people selling Concept 2's at knockdown prices in the adverts. Having rowed for years, I'd say few machines hold up like a Concept 2 can. Check eBay for old Model C Concepts, all the new models really add is more computer screen. Some clubs if they have a Model B around might even let you take it away for free, more fools them...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...