UKC

Over 205 miles per day, a year, on a bike. 80,000 miles. Wow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brass Nipples 25 Jan 2015
This is a cycling challenge off the scale, wow! Can you think of anything that comes close?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11360700/Meet-th...

Amazing.
 DaveHK 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
> Can you think of anything that comes close?

Impressive but even if he beats the record it still wont equal Tommy Godwins one: http://www.tommygodwin.com/
Post edited at 07:20
 themuppet 26 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> Impressive but even if he beats the record it still wont equal Tommy Godwins one: http://www.tommygodwin.com/

As I read the story, isn't he trying to beat Godwin's record?
 ro8x 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

He is already 761 miles up on Tommy Goodwins pace - I think he is going to set a new record.
OP Brass Nipples 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Yep, he's on target to beat Godwin's record

DaveHK 26 Jan 2015
In reply to themuppet:

> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> [...]
>
> As I read the story, isn't he trying to beat Godwin's record?

Yes. I'm not doing the guy down but what I meant was that even if he beats Godwin's record it's not comparable given the equipment, conditions etc.
Post edited at 19:48
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, much easier in Godwin's day
 DaveHK 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Eh?
 felt 26 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Less windy, less traffic, fewer potholes
 Dax H 26 Jan 2015
In reply to felt:

> Less windy, less traffic, fewer potholes

Less technical clothing, less technical nutrition, 4 speed bike, probably less understanding of bike and rider ergonomics too.
In reply to Dax H:

You could cycle up down A1 in those days
 felt 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Dax H:

Stiffer resolve
 ro8x 27 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

That's a little unfair, we could say that about all the world records. Imagine the outcry at London 2012 if we told the GB track team the world record they broke wasn't legit because they had a different bike to the previous holder, progress and that.

Also the bike Steve is using is almost as heavy as the one Tommy used back in the day.

Trevers 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Waiting until this thread invokes Godwin's Law
 Toby_W 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

I'll be sad if the records beaten but delighted for the guy. I think it will be well done if he does, he's not riding with a support coach, massages and professional nutritional advice. He's riding a steel audax/tourer type bike with a fair bit of kit on and he's no pro. I'll bet he's eating mountains of pasta.

Chapeau mate chapeau.

Cheers

Toby
 Chris the Tall 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Toby_W:

> I'll be sad if the records beaten

Records are set to be broken, but this guy's attempt will make more people aware of Tommy Godwin's incredible feat, which is a good thing.

As for the equipment thing, the rebirth of interest in the hour record has come about because the UCI made sensible changes to the rules. Of course you could go further back and look at the equipment used in the early days of the Tour and the Giro - wine corks for brake pads !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...