UKC

How to start winter climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geomickb 26 Jan 2015
I would love to climb some easy gullies (probably Wales or Lakes).

How you start?

I can lead easy routes in the summer and would like to know how to progress to so some grade I routes.

Mick
 Andy Hardy 26 Jan 2015
In reply to geomickb:

I started as a student joined the climbing club, then just went on a winter trip with a (slightly) more experienced mate.

I used the same kit for winter climbing as did for winter walking, and borrowed crampons and axes. For grade 1 you'll only need 1 axe and crampons in addition to what you already have (rope etc)

There's loads of good books (Scotlands Winter Mountains for instance) and the obligitory you tube tutorials but nothing beats your own experience.

My only advice would be to set the compass for your descent before starting up (assuming normal winter conditions).
 BnB 26 Jan 2015
In reply to geomickb:

Most people just solo some easy gullies before they realise they've just led their first winter route. Grade Is are just a steep walk on snow. You could of course do a course but I think it's worth getting some experience (and an axe and crampons, easily acquired second hand on here) first. It's handy to go to honeypot locations like Brown Cove Crags because there are lots of helpful, experienced climbers about in a beginner friendly environment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...